Virus TI Inputs, SPDIF and Saffire Pro 14 related question

• I would like to be able to feed an audio signal into the SPDIF-in on my Virus using my SaffirePro 14.

My current routing is thus;

SaffirePro14 out 1&2 : 1/4" jack sockets - fed to Tannoy L&R monitors
    SaffirePro14 out 3&4 : 1/4" jack sockets nothing is physically connected to these on the rear of the Saffire, but can replicate 'out 1&2' and route to headphones using Saffire mix control
    SaffirePro14 out 5&6 : SPDIF - connected to Virus SPDIF-in
    SaffirePro14 out 7&8 : DAW loopback for recording any audio signal playing on Mac (from the internet / iTunes / Spotify etc)

SaffirePro14 in 1 : se x1 Mic
    SaffirePro14 in 2 : free / not used - will eventually use for guitar input.
    SaffirePro14 in 3&4 : feed from the output of my Yamaha mixer which has several other synths and devices connected to it (Korg MARMA, KAOSS pad, Boss DR drum machine etc.)
    SaffirePro14 in 5&6 : SPDIF - connected to Virus SPDIF-out

Everything works flawlessly, and the quality of the sound out from the SaffirePro14 is excellent to my amateur ears. The Saffire Mix Control software offers extremely flexible routing; allowing for a huge range of configurations.

If I set the signal to be sent to the SaffirePro14 SPDIF-out to be either SaffirePro14 Input 1 (the Mic), or SaffirePro14 out 1&2 (Yamaha Mixer output) - will this allow me to use the Virus as an effects box either on voice at the microphone, or whatever I set the set out on the Yamaha mixer?

I thought I set this all up as above yesterday, but whatever changes I made on the Virus parameters (cutoff, reverb, delay etc) had no effect on what I sang into the Mic, or what I played through to the Virus from the mixer.

Phew... hope I explained things clearly enough there.

Hope someone can help.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• hope I explained things clearly enough there

I can't ask for a clearer post - thanks for taking the time and describing your setup. I belive you are using the input through functionallity which is a bit lacking, since it does exactly what it says on the box - passthrough... So reduce input through to 0, and instead select a free part, and in it create aptach with the input module turned on (remember to select the correct input source). Now you can apply all the functionality of a Virus patch on the input sound as if it was created by the oscillators.

• I can't ask for a clearer post - thanks for taking the time and describing your setup. I belive you are using the input through functionallity which is a bit lacking, since it does exactly what it says on the box - passthrough... So reduce input through to 0, and instead select a free part, and in it create aptach with the input module turned on (remember to select the correct input source). Now you can apply all the functionality of a Virus patch on the input sound as if it was created by the oscillators.

Awesome answer - thank you. I will try this out tonight and report back - thanks.

Mac OSX Yosemite