Issue With MIDI over USB using Cubase - HELP!!

• I'm pretty sure this is something simple that I've overlooked, please help as it's driving me insane!

I bought my Virus TI a little while ago and had been using it with Cubase SX3 and Windows XP without any issues whatsoever.

I upgraded my studio in December last year to a new DAW with Windows 7 and Cubase 5 and also upgraded the Virus TI to 4.5.3 Firmware. To get the Synth working on my setup I ended up having to install an additional USB card as the latest Asus motherboard I purchased with the Virus TI just wouldn't get along together. Installing the Virus TI software either ended up with a blue screen of death or a missing driver, normally the MIDI driver for some reason. I tried almost every USB port without any luck and Access told me I needed a separate USB card (let's hope this gets fixed in the official release of v5 firmware)

After fitting the USB card and several re-installs of Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit and all of my other studio software I now have a stable setup.

However, when I set the Virus TI Synth or Virus TI Midi as the Input against any of the MIDI channels in Cubase and press a key on the Virus I don't see anything registering in the software? This makes recording almost impossible as the keyboard becomes useless and I have to draw notes manually in Cubase using the mouse.

I can't remember doing anything special with Cubase SX3 to get this working as it should be? I'm correct in thinking that I should be able to load an instance of the Virus TI control plugin or any other VST instrument and play the keys on the Virus and have the VST produce the sound - essentially using the Virus TI as a MIDI keyboard ? correct ?

I'm not using the Virus as my sound-card either, it's purely connected by USB for the VST control software and MIDI over USB. All other items work fine like automation etc, I just can't figure why the keyboard keys don't register in Cubase when I play something? The sound card I have fitted is an RME 9632 internal PCI-e model and I've never had any issues with this since I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago. Do I need to connect a MIDI cable between the Virus MIDI OUT and the RME Card MIDI IN ? surely not?? HELP!!

:(

• Hi, thanks for the reply - I tried the ARP Edit to reset the unit - I haven't really changed much on the Virus itself so wasn't a problem doing this.

Is there anything specific I'm looking for in the Keyboard / Knob / Midi menus on the unit itself? I would have thought performing the ARP Edit would reset all of this back to defaults?

Also, Cubase 5 is quite different to 3 so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for in there but everything seems to be ok?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93l6ewb9fskil6r/midi1.JPG

There's nothing else obvious I have to configure in Cubase 5 is there??

Regards

• Somebody must know the answer to this? Come on Access, sort this out please!! Is this another of your software bugs? just like the TI doesn't work with many on-board USB ports?

Access Support - are you reading these forums??

If I connect my Virus TI with a MIDI Cable from the MIDI-OUT port on my TI to the RME 9632 MIDI-IN connector and select 'HDSP9632 Midi' as the input for a track in Cubase I can play the keyboard and everything works fine like a normal MIDI keyboard should do, just what I'd expect to happen. This means I can use the Virus TI keyboard to play the sounds from various other VST plugins like Nexus, Omnisphere etc. All good so far....

However, If I load the Virus TI Control Center as a VST instrument within Cubase, this obviously stops the MIDI-OUT port connection from working as it expects to send everything via the USB port for MIDI control. This is my understanding? correct yes?

The problem I have is that the MIDI over USB doesn't work with just the USB cable connected and as soon as I load the TI control center plugin I can see the MIDI data stops being sent - as shown by the LFO1 LED no longer flashing when I touch the keys on the Virus TI.

This pretty much renders my Virus TI useless with Cubase 5 right now. I'm at the point where I think I may end up having to purchase a separate MIDI controller keyboard and set the Virus TI to one side instead of being right in front of me where I normally have it.

Is this an issue with the version of Cubase? or the version of the control centre plugin? or the MIDI driver loaded in Windows?

My setup is as follows - Cubase is v5.1.0, Virus TI is 4.5.3, Audio Driver 2.8.45.0, Audio Library Version 2.8.45.0, Host Interface Version N/A, MIDI Driver Version 1.0.64.0

Any ideas ?? :cursing:

• I really hate that the USB renders the MID I/O useless...

I asked for a "Feature" for the USB to be for audio/Crosstalk only and the option to have MIDI information allowed via the MIDI cables since the, absolutely IDIOT :cursing: idea of access to use the older USB protocol limits the bandwidth and creates headaches.
    My issue is w/ the USB timing and yours is communication. That said, I have CUBASE 5 and I'm able to see automation from the Virus so check your settings.

PCWS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=19TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+Platinum | CM Cosmos II

Cubits: Cubase 12.0.7 | CMC-TP · CH · PD · AI · QC · FDx2

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti · Virus C | Maschine Studio · Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | MOTU MidiXT | Roland XV-5080 · JV-2080 · TR-8 · TB-3 · VT-3 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MM27Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416

• However, when I set the Virus TI Synth or Virus TI Midi as the Input against any of the MIDI channels in Cubase and press a key on the Virus I don't see anything registering in the software? This makes recording almost impossible as the keyboard becomes useless and I have to draw notes manually in Cubase using the mouse.

Here's how it's setup in total integration mode: the Virus TI MIDI port is connected to the physical midi plugs on the hardware. The Virus TI synth port is connected to the synth engine. MIDI events from the ONBOARD keyboard are forwarded to the sequencer's midi input, MIDI events received by the hardware through the MIDI IN plug are also forwarded.
    i'm sure email support can get you up and running in no time, marc