Virus TI Snow freezes/ problems!

• So i got my new Virus TI Snow yesterday and having a lot of issues with it.

Im runing a iMac dual core 3.06 Ghz and 8 gig ram. Latest OSX. My daw is Logic Pro, latest update.

I installed the Virus OS and did all updates as advised.

Here are my issues.

1. I get sync errors all the time (Theres a red sign coming in the plugin saying i need to press start and stop all the time)
    2. The sound disappear randomly and the BPM light stops to blink and i need to restart the unit. Freezes!
    3. The sound Freezes and just keeps sounding and i need to shut the unit off.

Is this normal behaviors?

I would expect more from such a product and i quite disappointed

Hope someone has some inputs.

Thanks
    Chris

• Here is what ive tried.

1. I reinstalled all drivers, did the reset by holding TAP for 10 seconds, no luck. Problem persists. :(
    2. Ive changed and tested all usb ports, no luck. Problem persists. X(
    3. In a last attempt i installed the latest beta but now the plugin says its not compatible. 8|

?(?(?(

• Try your Virus in standalone mode: disconnect it from the computer, and hook up your MIDI controller / sequencer and headphones / monitors directly to it, and play around with it for a while (how long does it usually take for it to freeze?). If you still get the same behavior then it's probably a HW issue and seeing that you only got it just now, it should be under warranty, so contact your vendor or Access support and they will be happy to replace it.

• Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I'm unable to the test the Virus in standalone mode at my current environment. The freezes occur after a couple of minutes and sometimes the sound just drops completely.

I can have it as a single unit for maybe 5 min but multitimbral it only takes a minute and its gone.

I have read some post on the net regarding the USB connectors on an iMac. However i have unplugged all other USB units that i had and tested all ports and the problem persists.

Had a Virus C not long ago and i miss it now. My old plastic JP8000 works better than this.

I should have done my research better before i bought it maybe.

I think i just might return my unit and take my money getting something else cus im really disappointed that such a expensive peace of hardware works so poorly. I want to make music and not deal with issues like this. Sure i can maybe get it replaced but what tells me that it wont happen later on? :thumbdown:

Cheers
    Chris

P.S. I tried to uninstall the latest Virus OS and when i tried to restart my computer i got a kernel panic and needed to hard reboot my iMac. I then tried to install an earlier version of the OS, the latest build of the Virus OS4 but now nether Logic plugin or the Virus tool can find the unit even after several restarts, rebooting the computer and reseting the TI Snow unit. 8|

• Turn of event.

I uninstalled everything, cleared all caches on the mac and then reinstalled everything again now i have played around with the virus for an hour or so without any interruptions. Have had just about 2 sync errors so far but it hasnt died on me like before. :)

Im also running multitimbral mode now and when the voices arnt enough it still keeps going and seem to split the sound evenly. Before it just crashed. 8|

So im a bit baffled here, should i still return it? ?(?(

• I plugged in My backup hdd and another external hdd and the virus crashed AGAIN! Then I tried to restart it and my whole system froze and I needed to hard reboot my iMac, again! :(

Is there an issue with the USB? I thought the virus was running on its own power supply? Do I need an external USB hub or something with extra power? 8|?(

• There is a USB issue, but it is not a power issue, it's a bandwidth issue. It is described in detail in the installation guide, but in short some devices, when they share an internal USB hub with the Virus may reduce the amount of realtime bandwidth available to it. Nevertheless this is usually characterized by crackle, skipping and sync losses - not hanging, freezing or crashing.

• There is a USB issue, but it is not a power issue, it's a bandwidth issue. It is described in detail in the installation guide, but in short some devices, when they share an internal USB hub with the Virus may reduce the amount of realtime bandwidth available to it. Nevertheless this is usually characterized by crackle, skipping and sync losses - not hanging, freezing or crashing.

Thanks dude.

Yea i know but its behaving like it doesnt get enough power thats why i was a bit confused. :)

• Now i have tested everything!! ;(

I bought a USB hub today, 4 channels with its own power source and problems persists. Now the virus crashes/freezes no matter what i do. I tested all USB ports on the iMac (On its own) and with the new USB hub and still same problems :cursing:

Thats it, im returning it. And i didnt get any answers from the tech support and no one from Access seem to watch this anyway so im done. Thanks but no thanks. :thumbdown:

• Thats it, im returning it. And i didnt get any answers from the tech support and no one from Access seem to watch this anyway so im done. Thanks but no thanks.

yes, it is true: we don't work on weekends.

here's an advise to those who might read this later: if a Virus constantly crashes, contact you dealer straight away. and don't get mad, it is a fact of life that things can break or possibly arrive broken. even though we test our products extensively before shipping.
    marc

• yes, it is true: we don't work on weekends.

here's an advise to those who might read this later: if a Virus constantly crashes, contact you dealer straight away. and don't get mad, it is a fact of life that things can break or possibly arrive broken. even though we test our products extensively before shipping.
    marc

Thats all i got from all of my posts. If you are concerend about your reputation maybe a litte more proffessional and helpful answer would have been nice. I needed to criticize Access music to get an respons. Big wow on that. You guys know how to keep a customer.

I posted this respons on my timeline here on my fanpage http://www.facebook.com/onovamusic

Thanks for nothing Marc. :thumbdown:

• I had a similar problem. TI Snow or hanged, or starts making horrible noises or fall silent at all.
    In the end I changed the unit under warranty, it was a hardware problem.
    I even recorded a video that you can see clearly all the problems. Video is in this topic.

• I had a similar problem. TI Snow or hanged, or starts making horrible noises or fall silent at all.
    In the end I changed the unit under warranty, it was a hardware problem.
    I even recorded a video that you can see clearly all the problems. Video is in this topic.

Exactly the same issue as me! - :wacko: After 7 days (since the first day i got it) ive been troubleshooting with no positive results. Im returning it to the dealer tomorrow and see if i may give it a second shot but not the first best impression of a product i have gotten so i am a bit unsure.

• I hope im not being funny here, or cynical.. but... have you considered the fault may actually lie within your PC/Mac set up??? the Virus as a "stand alone unit" functions perfectly well (in most cases) if it does not, then YES i would blame Access for your issues you are having, but as a Virus V Mac/PC problem... i would not put the Virus as a first call of issue!... cant you all see the logic here??? honestly... 8| ?( even watching the videos you posted, i can see USB bandwith issues.. which is nothing to do with Virus problems... Do you see Pro artists with these problems?? er..no... so get professional and learn your tool :thumbup:

• Thats all i got from all of my posts. If you are concerend about your reputation maybe a litte more proffessional and helpful answer would have been nice. I needed to criticize Access music to get an respons. Big wow on that. You guys know how to keep a customer.

I posted this respons on my timeline here on my fanpage http://www.facebook.com/onovamusic

Thanks for nothing Marc. :thumbdown:

No that's not all you got, the community has tried to help you :>
    I think Access are pretty professional and helpful I just don't think it's a very big company and 99% of problems seem to be the users and even the ones that aren't can usually be fixed by following the _same_ advice that is given out everytime (restart virus, move the usb, reinstall the software, reinstall ti os).

• Exactly the same issue as me! -

:wacko:

After 7 days (since the first day i got it) ive been troubleshooting with no positive results. Im returning it to the dealer tomorrow and see if i may give it a second shot but not the first best impression of a product i have gotten so i am a bit unsure.

My first impressions of the Virus were that it was limited and buggy. After fine tuning my setup I have almost 0 issues and I use my Virus for hours on end almost every day, it is an amazing synth to say the least :>

• To the ones that have doubts i got my unit replaced and my problems are now gone. Thanks to the ones that helped.

Cheers

• No that's not all you got, the community has tried to help you :>
    I think Access are pretty professional and helpful I just don't think it's a very big company and 99% of problems seem to be the users and even the ones that aren't can usually be fixed by following the _same_ advice that is given out everytime (restart virus, move the usb, reinstall the software, reinstall ti os).

I have been in contact people here on the board, on my facebook page, the retailer and Access Tech support that have checked all my settings and i can assure you that i have done all there is and the final message from Access tech support was in short that "this is not normal in anyway and the its probably a faulty unit" so i got it replaced thru the retail store and now all is great again.

My criticism was against the answer from Marc that instead of giving som useful tips to me that had the problem he wrote a general message to everyone else that might read this this thread and that i needed to criticize their lack of response to even get A response. And if you have a big company that sells an exclusive product like the Virus and are one of the most expensive synthesizers on the market then you should be able to handle some criticism. This is my personal opinion and i think we all are entitled to have one to so you dont need to defend them nor their products, cus first of all i doesnt matter, and secondly i think they can to that them selfs. So let them to their job, Stick to the topic and write something useful for other users or just let it be.

Cheers

P.S. Now I'm even able to run my external HDD´s at the same time using the USB hub i bought :thumbup:

• I have been in contact people here on the board, on my facebook page, the retailer and Access Tech support that have checked all my settings and i can assure you that i have done all there is and the final message from Access tech support was in short that "this is not normal in anyway and the its probably a faulty unit" so i got it replaced thru the retail store and now all is great again.

My criticism was against the answer from Marc that instead of giving som useful tips to me that had the problem he wrote a general message to everyone else that might read this this thread and that i needed to criticize their lack of response to even get A response. And if you have a big company that sells an exclusive product like the Virus and are one of the most expensive synthesizers on the market then you should be able to behave a little more professional. This is my personal opinion and i think we all are entitled to have one to so you dont need to defend them nor their products, cus first of all i doesnt matter to me and second of all its their job and not yours.

Cheers

Maybe he gave a general response so that it is useful to other people reading this thread with similar problems and he did suggest returning it as it appeared faulty :>

Edit: Also it's nowhere near the most expensive especially for what it does.