Virus TI Polar - keyboard suddenly stops transmitting MIDI data

• I have a Virus TI Polar (with (Logic 9.1.8, Mac OS 10.7.5), and I use the Virus not only for its sounds, but as my keyboard controller for all other soft synths & samplers. For some reason, the Virus frequently stops transmitting MIDI data. For example, I was playing hitting keys on the Virus keyboard to trigger samples in Logic's EXS24, and suddenly, no MIDI data. The Virus' Transpose buttons were in the middle default (no transposition), and the Logic software instrument track didn't have any transposition enabled either. And there were no samples in the EXS 24 below C1.

Also, typically when I put the computer to sleep for a time, and wake it up again, the Virus will not transmit MIDI. Also sometimes just upon startup the same thing happens.

For a while when this happened, I reset the Virus, which fixed the problem temporarily (but not for long). Sometimes I simply unplug the USB cable and plug it in again, same result - if fixes the problem temporarily. But this happens constantly, nearly every time I work in Logic

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks!

• Also, typically when I put the computer to sleep for a time, and wake it up again, the Virus will not transmit MIDI. Also sometimes just upon startup the same thing happens.

For a while when this happened, I reset the Virus, which fixed the problem temporarily (but not for long). Sometimes I simply unplug the USB cable and plug it in again, same result - if fixes the problem temporarily. But this happens constantly, nearly every time I work in Logic

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

it sounds like you have an issue with the MIDI driver of the Virus. by removing USB and plugging it in again, you re-start the driver. nevertheless this shouldn't happen and at least here on my mac, it doesn't. please contact support. you need to work with them on a solution.
    best, marc

• It'd funny you should have this, as I've been having the same issue, with a similar set up to yours. Only noticed that this happened since the last Virus update.

Hey magikroom, you might want to contact Access support about this. I did, as they instructed, and they have given me a fairly involved set of steps toward a solution. :)

• Thanks, I've contacted suppot, but have some more interesting issues that are related. I've always used the S/P Dif out on the Virus, though recently I have tried once again to get it going using USB, but have given up on that. I've been using the Analog Outs (1 & 2) and notice some crackling. This is similar crackling or pops you would get if the digital signal from S/P Dif was incorrect, though it's certainly not gain issues. I think Version 5 has caused isses for me though. Just now, I was playing it through the audio outs and then played the Demo to get a good level into my mixer, then unplugged the USB. All sound cut off and when I plug the USB back in, it's still off and sends no midi. In Logic Id on't use the the Virus as an Interface as i have a Firewire interface for that, I just want to use it over USB for midi only and to still be able to still use Virus Control for browsing patches and editing, but it looks like the software/driver/firmware has caused a problem here. Can't figure out the crackles though...that's a new thing! I'llsee what they come back with, but I am thinking about getting rid of it (once it is fixed) as it doesn't and never has worked as intended for me...shame.

• Hey magikroom, you might want to contact Access support about this. I did, as they instructed, and they have given me a fairly involved set of steps toward a solution. :)

Hi,

Maybe you can send me what they sent to you. I sent a request to suppot and got the noreply message with a support ticket, but nothing from them since...the midi stopping is driving me a bit nuts...it's been on and off more times than a Prostitutes Knickers! Cheers

• Maybe you can send me what they sent to you. I sent a request to suppot and got the noreply message with a support ticket, but nothing from them since...the midi stopping is driving me a bit nuts...it's been on and off more times than a Prostitutes Knickers! Cheers

I think they would probably tell you to contact them again, but you can send me a PM

• I think they would probably tell you to contact them again, but you can send me a PM

Just tried to send you one, but when I click on your name, I get a PHP error.. Will give them another try :(

• Just tried to send you one, but when I click on your name, I get a PHP error.. Will give them another try

Hmm, yeah, I tried to PM you and the same thing happened. I do think it's best that you contact them directly, because they gave me specific instructions, and what they told me might not apply to your situation.