mac osx - virus midi device disappears

• this is not a big issue, i just wonder if anyone else has noticed it....

sometimes even though the virus ti is plugged in and connected via usb and turned on the virus midi/synth device disappears.
    the fix, is just to go to settings and to rescan midi, and it appears again ... so simple solution, just a minor inconvience.

my quesions is...
    do others also see the midi device disappears, and have to rescan? ( i think turning off/on virus also reloads the midi device)

im using osx 10.9.1 with 5.0.7, but it also used to do it on 10. with 5.0.3 ( uve never used it earlier than this)
    its also does it with 2 different iMac.
    it does it either directly connected to iMac or via hub

my suspicion is it appears to happen when opeing or closing applications that use midi ports,
    but it doesnt happen every time ... i think perhaps once per session (though this might be due to opening daws once per session?)

its not obivousy ''sleep ' related, as i always turn off virus before mac is put to sleep, and turn virus on after mac is awake...

• Hi,

I also have this exact same problem, rescan MIDI finds the TI again. But also when in the middle of a project sometimes (Cubase 7.5.1.0), the TI throws a fit and the whole MIDI input from it goes crazy resulting in huge latency / sporadic input from the TI keyboard into Cubase. I'm guessing this would happen with any DAW though. The only way to fix this is to reboot the TI and sometimes scan MIDI again.

• No need for the tone is there, I paid £1,650 for it!!! It is the midi driver being kicked out, one time it will work, but randomly drop. I mentioned it numerous times below, starting with below.

April 24th 2013 - http://www.virus.info/forum/in…4435&highlight=#post24435

That is just one issue though, the cluster of notes is an issue, also the strange pitch issues, latency, out of time Arp...etc etc.

• Marc, no nothing in the console/logs

the only console messages I see, that appear to be from the Virus are
    11/4/14 12:17:55,649 sandboxd[197]: ([177]) coreaudiod(177) deny iokit-open AudioUserClientVirus
    11/4/14 12:17:55,912 coreaudiod[177]: Bundle Ref: com.apple.loginwindow
    11/4/14 12:17:55,912 coreaudiod[177]: Bundle Ref: com.apple.WebKit.WebContent
    11/4/14 12:17:55,912 coreaudiod[177]: Bundle Ref: com.apple.systemuiserver
    11/4/14 12:17:55,913 coreaudiod[177]: Bundle Ref: com.apple.AirPlayUIAgent
    11/4/14 12:17:55,914 coreaudiod[177]: Bundle Ref: com.apple.audio.coreaudiod
    11/4/14 12:17:55,926 coreaudiod[177]: @69207254 PtLinearRegression::threadRun exit at slice 23
    11/4/14 12:17:56,015 coreaudiod[177]: @69207343 PerformConfigChange Out, mInStreamingSuspended false
    11/4/14 12:17:56,017 coreaudiod[177]: @69207345 PtLinearRegression::threadRun exit at slice 1
    11/4/14 12:17:56,109 coreaudiod[177]: @69207437 PerformConfigChange Out, mInStreamingSuspended false
    11/4/14 12:17:56,000 kernel[0]: USB Sound assertion in AppleUSBAudioEngine at line 1274
    11/4/14 12:17:56,000 kernel[0]: USB Sound assertion in AppleUSBAudioDevice at line 1492
    11/4/14 12:17:56,000 kernel[0]: USB Sound assertion in AppleUSBAudioDevice at line 633
    11/4/14 12:17:56,000 kernel[0]: USB Sound assertion in AppleUSBAudioDevice at line 286

BUT these come when the virus starts up, and it then works from that point.

Ive spent quite a bit of time isolating the issue, and i can say to reproduce I need the following steps:
    - the computer in sleep ( and make sure it really is properly in sleep)

a) wake up mac, let make sure its up an running properly
    b) turn on virus (you will see midi device correctly becomes active, but the above error messages in console
    ... at this stage the virus works fine.
    c) turn on another usb device (I've got two , an eigenharp and leap motion, but cause the same issue... neither is on the same hub as virus, and virus does it regardless of its port)
    d) start an app that uses this secondary device
    as the app starts up, the virus devices disappear.

(note on (c), if the usb devices are already present when the mac wakes, there appears to be no issue)

What appears to happen, is the scanning of the USB bus by the apps causes Mac OSX to decide the Virus is not there, and it disappears.

it would be very easy to 'blame' the other usb devices, but they are fine within themselves.... they don't cause problems between each other, and also they are on a different USB hub,
    also once I do a rescan of the midi - the virus comes back... obviously this reloads the driver.

Also this only happens from sleep mode... you can unplug/plug/turn each device on and off as much as you like, and all will be okay.

so really does appear, then the Virus is turned off... the virus driver is put into an unavailable state... then the mac sleeps, when its woken up and again and the Virus driver is reloaded,
    its in some kind of 'strange' state... where add a new USB causes it to be thrown out.

to be honest, all kind of speculation can be made... the real issue is as you say there is no message in the console that the virus device has been unloaded and why,
    if this was added, then I'm sure it would be simple for the developers to find the cause of the issue.

• thanks for the infos, thetechnobear. i have the suspicion, that sleep mode (which is really a bunch of different modes) can differ from one mac to the other. it really depends on how "deep" the mac sleeps. in general, all i can advise at this point is to not use sleep mode when making music and do not add devices later. i'll put your findings into our bug tracking system, maybe a developer can make more sense out of them and knows what to do.
    best, marc

• Thanks
    I would point out, this is NOT new , it also did it on 10.8/5.0.3
    Also it does it on both my late 2012 iMac an also one I have had for years.
    (Again all 4 combos of osx & each mac all have same issue )

I don't let my macs sleep during sessions, it's just a pain when starting things up,
    as some apps have quirks with the device changing when I do a rescan
    ( eg ableton assigns device a new name)

It would be great if the dev team could see if they can reproduce.
    ( the leap motion is a good device to use to provoke the issue)

• ok, I'm raising this again... as I've got another usb device ( a KM softstep) and its the same with that as well... so it appears to be all usb devices, and its becoming increasing awkward to workaround. (so much for usb plug n play :))

heres the email I've sent to support, so it can be taken up as an official bug/request...

also as I said
    - not using sleep mode, is not really viable, as I use the mac alot, so rebooting each time is unworkable
    - not adding devices later is unworkable too, partly as the virus is hogging an entire USB bus, so I cannot keep things plugged in, and also because during startup there is a race condition in mac osx regarding which devices will get initialised first, there is a high chance that the virus synth driver will be started before other devices, and so then disappear .. this is outside my control. (also some usb devices only load a proxy usb device, and then create another usb device when the application using it starts)

as I said at the end, given its happening on 2 mac (of very different ages), 2 versions of osx, and with 4 different usb devices - I'm sure it must be pretty easy to reproduce.

thanks for your help
    Mark

====email=====

Ive raised this before on the forum here:
    mac osx - virus midi device disappears (which you can get the details from)

the issue is simple

if i put the iMac to sleep, when I wake it up if I turn on and after plug in any other USB devices - Virus synth will disappear, and I can only get it back by rescanning (in audio device)

notes:
    I'm on 10.9.2/5.0.7 but it was also doing this on 10.8/5.0.3
    it does it on two different iMac that I have it on ( a 2007 and a 2013!)
    it occurs with 4 different usb devices I have
    there is nothing in the console log, showing any kind of error, see forum post.
    it happens 100% every time with every usb device* i have
    I've tried all other usb ports, its the same
    it happens if i put the virus on a hub or not

steps to reproduce are very simple
    a) Start with mac awake with Virus attached with USB (and other usb midi devices, though not relevant yet)
    b) remove or turn off other usb device *
    c) now turn virus off ( leave plugged in) - in audio midi device you will see virus midi go grey
    d) put mac to sleep (wait for it to go into sleep, its not instant, leave about 30 seconds at least)
    e) wake mac up
    f) turn on virus, virus midi will correctly become active and be fine for use
    g) plug in/turn on another usb midi device (and start an app that uses it)
    h) ***** virus midi will have disappeared! ***** you can verify in audio device setup
    i) audio device setup / rescan midi, virus reappears... and from this point, you can unplug usb devices as much as you wish, and it will remain (until you put it to sleep again)

usb devices I have that this happens with (any ONE of these, will provoke the issue)
    - leap motion
    - eigenharp pico
    - eigenharp alpha (connected via basestation)
    - keith mcmillan softstep

this is become a real pain, because due to the virus 'issues' with usb, i cannot really keep all devices plugged in (due to virus having to have its own usb bus), so i need to swap and change usb devices.
    ableton, doesn't like the rescanning... if you do the above process, you will end up with a Virus Synth #2, so you have to change your live sets to use this, and then not save i.e. you end up having to restart Ableton.

this means my own workaround is to connect every usb device, possibly starting relevant apps, and only then turn on the virus... this is increasingly becoming 'unworkable'

please could the developers take a look, I find it hard to believe it cannot be reproduced, given i can do it on 2 versions of OSX, 2 different iMacs in combination with 4 different USB devices,

please could you also confirm you can reproduce.

usb is suppose to be plug and play and all my other devices are... so would be nice to get the Virus playing nicely :)

Thanks
    Mark Harris

• I'm having this same problem of a Disappearing and Reappearing Virus TI using the USB connection.

Hardware: Access Virus TI
    Hardware OS: 5.0.8.00

Computer: Mac Pro running latest OS. Everything is up to date.
    -Additional USB devices are attached via 2 USB Hubs.

This issue has been reported here:
    Midi Input and outputs changing after short period of inactivity
    mac osx - virus midi device disappears

Do we have any progress on fixing this issue?
    The USB drivers are useless as Logic keeps going crazy when the "Number of MIDI Inputs has changed…"

Please help !
    GS

• Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue running 10.9.4 on an iMac 27" mid 2011 running 5.08 and 5.10. The Midi driver disappears after a short period of time, sometimes 20 minutes and crashes the core MIDI driver. The Virus shows up in the crash log as the cause. trying to rescan the midi device in Audio Midi setup crashes the driver again and stops all of my other MIDI devices from working! rebooting the computer is the only option after that.

Is there any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks