Returning my Moog Sub 37 and getting a Ti2 Desktop

• If you want to use it without a computer in between, I'd look for a controller keyboard that offers a MIDI out port.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Aftertouch is only necessary if you want to use it for additional expression in performances: Aftertouch measures the pressure put on a key after the note on event and continuosly produces MIDI events for that. These can then be used to change the sound, e.g. to open a filter, add vibrato or change the volume. As with the feel of the keys and the mod wheel, aftertouch is often not very usable on cheap keyboards.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Well I gave back the Moog, ordered a virus desktop. Then I bought the moog back after some cash came in. I got an Akai Advance 49. Not sure how that will work out with the virus. Was contemplating an NI S-49 but I read that the Akai plays nicer with Midi.

I've been reading about all the horror stories with the Virus software. Hopefully things will work out on my Imac. Any pointers? I'm running an older OS. yosemite.
    So far I've read, get a USB hub with TPP and use nothing else on the hub. Then I read, plug the Virus directly into the Mac with no hub. I have USB 2.0.

• Virus TI2 and Moog Sub37 is a nice combo, especially since you can run the Sub37 audio through the Virus FX section!

Regarding keyboards: You could really use the Moog as your main controller keyboard since it has a nice keybed which also sports usable aftertouch.

Or, depending on your space/money situation, rather exchange the TI Desktop for a Polar/Darkstar. Which is what I did for my home studio because I felt the need to have a more direct approach to the Virus.

The TI should work just fine with the OS you have. Get a good (!) USB 3 hub which dies proper switching and plug the Virus there. Unfortunately it's difficult to find god USB hubs, and they are generally rather expensive because you have to go for professional business/industry components not home/consumer devices.

PS: I got an Exsys EX-1188HMS hub which has the GL3520 USB 3.1 Gen 1 MTT Hub Controller. Works perfectly!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• What good is a USB 3 hub if my computer only has USB 2?

• What does the USB hub accomplish?

Give you additional independent USB ports. Also an MTT hub will optimize the speed of every single port to the connected device, and not slow down all ports to the slowest connected device. I.e. the Virus (which is on USB 1.1) will get a connection optimized for its needs while the other ports on the hub still work as USB 2.0 or 3.0 with whatever speed the attached the device can handle.

What good is a USB 3 hub if my computer only has USB 2?

Sorry, I didn't realize your computer is still on USB 2.0. You can naturally try to get a 2.0 Hub with MTT. However, I wouldn't spend money on outdated USB technology.

• I meant in the context of using one but only plugging the virus into it. I go straight into a mac book pro from the TI2. Any benefit of using a 3.0 hub for it?

Not if you don't have anything else connected to any of the USB ports.

If there's any other device hooked up to your MacBook's USB ports, the chances are that you will benefit from an MTT Hub.