MIDI query - adding a second controller keyboard to virus and MPC live

• Hi all,

having some great fun simplifying my existing setup now using MPC live as sequencer, sampler, etc.

Current setup is Virus USB connected to MPC - works great (thanks oliAtBass).

I've an Roland A-800 Pro that I've introduced into the equation as I need more than one synth at a time (this replaced my Komplete Kontrol S61 as I'm fed up with having to reach over to my Mac all the time to make tweaks).

The Roland works fine connected to the second USB port of the MPC but I can only play voices from the MPC itself.

Ideally I'd like the A-800 to be able to play sounds from the Virus - after all - it has plenty of scope !

I don't know whether there's a MIDI configuration that will allow this. I'm happy to switch over to some old-skool DIN leads rather than run over USB - makes no difference to me.

However this would presumably need Out from the A-800 to IN on the VIrus but this is already consumed by the MPC which also needs In and Out to and from the Virus in order to record and play sequences.

Thru as I understand it is an exact copy of what is received at IN so I can't see how that would help.

Is what I want to achieve actually possible ? Basically to play the virus from the Roland acting as a controller as well as being able to sequence to and from the virus ?

Incidentally Audio is straight out of the Audio outputs of the virus into the MPC - there's no TI or VST going on here.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• If I remember correctly, Tracks on the MPC have a Send parameter which can be used to forward incoming MIDI events to other destinations, such as MIDI ports. Never used it, but I think the MPC Live with the most recent update should be able to allow some basic MIDI routing.

No need to use the DIN ports IMHO, MIDI over USB is just fine, unless you want to physically route the signal flow.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• " Tracks on the MPC have a Send parameter which can be used to forward incoming MIDI events to other destinations, such as MIDI ports."

This...

Yes indeed. It has its limitations though it would appear.

You can indeed forward incoming MIDI messages to another MIDI device and channel. I'm trying to get my head around the best way to do this and rapidly coming to the conclusion that what I need is another Virus instead of the controller keyboard. Damn you access for making the best synth ever...

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification