Beiträge von thetechnobear

Marc,
    the login at the top left of the page... the only login link i can find on the page ... which one works for you :)
    ( joking aside, i wonder if for some reason it works for you internally, but does work externally)

I reported this via support (Ticket ##SI00085882) 4 days ago, was told it was a glitch, I said it want it was obviously an incorrect link, and was told 2 days it was being looked into.

as Royal says, you are also forced to reset your password, but then the forum provides no means to change your password to something memorable!

Im assuming, given the fact the downtime and forum upgrade was not pre-announced, perhaps it was necessary due to unforeseen circumstances, and perhaps not been as smooth as expected.

I think its better to ask... why do you want to upgrade?

I don't think 5.0.8 buys you anything other than support for OSX 10.9, so unless your upgrading to 10.9, then I wouldn't bother/take the risk.
    (the other reason is if your having another issue which you think it might solve, but i doubt it will!)

downgrading, I had alot of trouble when I tried this... the uninstall just didn't work, and I ended up using another mac to get it back up and running again - ymmv

problem is now resolved

virus.info/forum, now uses an integrated login with virus.info (nice !!!!)

============== ORIGINAL POST ===========
    hi,

I think the links on the login forum is incorrect.. or at least some confusion as to if its login in to virus.info rather than the forum.

the login at the top of the screen will log you into virus.info, rather than the forum
    i had to use
    http:virus.info/forum/ [this link has been edited in order to avoid others falling into the same trap, editor]

then I had to change my forum password, old one didnt seem to work.

now I'm in ...

I have two minor issues:
    a) I cannot logout ... i think probably related to first issue
    b) I cannot change my password from the temporary one allocated. there appears to be no option in the settings
    c) access icon is not loading as file is missing http://www.virus.info/library/…ess-theme/access-logo.png :)

but new forum does look nice :)

Marc,
    you mentioned on a previous thread about 6 weeks ago, that you were testing a fix for the issue with using 48k sample rate.
    is there an update, on if this worked, and when its likely to be released.

( ive got another device which works better at 48k, so having to switch to 44.1k is getting pretty inconvienient)
    thanks for your help
    Mark

the Virus is pretty complex initially, but i actually think the manuals are excellent - id recommend reading both the quick start and reference manual, and if you don't you WILL miss out on a lot of features :)
    (perhaps you only have the quick start… which is sparse, being for a quick start :))

in single mode, use the config menu, and you will find midi channel under the midi settings
    in multi mode, the midi channel is selected as part of the multi edit for each part. (you can also turn the part off)

as for turning off 'CC', I think you have things the 'wrong way around', generally synths supply a list of CCs they respond too, its the job of the controller only to send these when you want to change things.

having said that, in the config menu, there is an option to change Page A and Page B to sysex (rather than CC, polypressure), I'm not sure if this stops the TI responding to CC , or if its just for midi dumps - but perhaps worth a try.
    (it will still respond to modW , breath etc, as this is in the mod matrix… so might do what you want)
    there are also specific midi option (again config and multi mode) about if to respond to midi volume and program changes.

if your hardware controller is limited in configurability in what CCs are are sent etc ( or you are controlling multiple devices at the same time) there are hardware midi filters.

note: I've a TI keyboard so things 'may be different' on the snow, but when i checked the snow reference manual it appeared to be identical.

for those having issues with 48k on Mac, we have a new version in in-house testing which addresses the problem. if everything goes to plan, we will have a new public beta once the test cycle will be completed.
    thanks, marc

Do you have an update on this?

Id really like to go back to 48khz, as I have some other hardware that runs at 48khz and using 44.1khz is causing cpu spikes in its software due to it having to resample from 44 to 48khz!
    (if I get the Virus back to 48khz, my whole system can run at 48 again :) )

Access have stated that they are aware of an issue with older Virus TI boards not functioning properly in the OS Mavericks.

Really, Ive not seen any statement from Acess that says this, can you point me to it? Marc, is this true?

Personally Ive a TI1 keyboard, and only have a few issues:
    - 48k sample rate interfering with midi issue,
    - spdif sync issues
    - sleep mode removes midi driver

48k issue, we have been told a fix is 'in the pipeline' , so I just use 44k for now.
    spdif, i just have to accept, as it obvious there is no willingness from Access to investigate, let alone fix - so now I use analogue outputs only
    sleep mode, I've been told by Access they don't support 'wake from sleep', so unfortunately i just have to accept this.

except for these, VC and the TI mk1 works well for me on Mavericks with a 2012 iMac and Ableton, so I'm surprised you say there is an underlying issue with the USB, as I don't see it. yes, it took me quite some time to find a good combination of usb ports with my other devices and setting up ableton with appropriate delays was a pain - but i got there in the end, so I cannot see there is a fundamental issue.
    (Im a developer, so I also know what it would look like and how to diagnose issues, so its not that I'm just 'accepting' poor performance etc)

I do agree though the level of 'expertise' you need to get a so called 'plug and play' solution working with the TI is ridiculously high, Im not surprised that many get frustrated/give up trying to get there.

ok, I'm raising this again... as I've got another usb device ( a KM softstep) and its the same with that as well... so it appears to be all usb devices, and its becoming increasing awkward to workaround. (so much for usb plug n play :))

heres the email I've sent to support, so it can be taken up as an official bug/request...

also as I said
    - not using sleep mode, is not really viable, as I use the mac alot, so rebooting each time is unworkable
    - not adding devices later is unworkable too, partly as the virus is hogging an entire USB bus, so I cannot keep things plugged in, and also because during startup there is a race condition in mac osx regarding which devices will get initialised first, there is a high chance that the virus synth driver will be started before other devices, and so then disappear .. this is outside my control. (also some usb devices only load a proxy usb device, and then create another usb device when the application using it starts)

as I said at the end, given its happening on 2 mac (of very different ages), 2 versions of osx, and with 4 different usb devices - I'm sure it must be pretty easy to reproduce.

thanks for your help
    Mark

====email=====

Ive raised this before on the forum here:
    mac osx - virus midi device disappears (which you can get the details from)

the issue is simple

if i put the iMac to sleep, when I wake it up if I turn on and after plug in any other USB devices - Virus synth will disappear, and I can only get it back by rescanning (in audio device)

notes:
    I'm on 10.9.2/5.0.7 but it was also doing this on 10.8/5.0.3
    it does it on two different iMac that I have it on ( a 2007 and a 2013!)
    it occurs with 4 different usb devices I have
    there is nothing in the console log, showing any kind of error, see forum post.
    it happens 100% every time with every usb device* i have
    I've tried all other usb ports, its the same
    it happens if i put the virus on a hub or not

steps to reproduce are very simple
    a) Start with mac awake with Virus attached with USB (and other usb midi devices, though not relevant yet)
    b) remove or turn off other usb device *
    c) now turn virus off ( leave plugged in) - in audio midi device you will see virus midi go grey
    d) put mac to sleep (wait for it to go into sleep, its not instant, leave about 30 seconds at least)
    e) wake mac up
    f) turn on virus, virus midi will correctly become active and be fine for use
    g) plug in/turn on another usb midi device (and start an app that uses it)
    h) ***** virus midi will have disappeared! ***** you can verify in audio device setup
    i) audio device setup / rescan midi, virus reappears... and from this point, you can unplug usb devices as much as you wish, and it will remain (until you put it to sleep again)

usb devices I have that this happens with (any ONE of these, will provoke the issue)
    - leap motion
    - eigenharp pico
    - eigenharp alpha (connected via basestation)
    - keith mcmillan softstep

this is become a real pain, because due to the virus 'issues' with usb, i cannot really keep all devices plugged in (due to virus having to have its own usb bus), so i need to swap and change usb devices.
    ableton, doesn't like the rescanning... if you do the above process, you will end up with a Virus Synth #2, so you have to change your live sets to use this, and then not save i.e. you end up having to restart Ableton.

this means my own workaround is to connect every usb device, possibly starting relevant apps, and only then turn on the virus... this is increasingly becoming 'unworkable'

please could the developers take a look, I find it hard to believe it cannot be reproduced, given i can do it on 2 versions of OSX, 2 different iMacs in combination with 4 different USB devices,

please could you also confirm you can reproduce.

usb is suppose to be plug and play and all my other devices are... so would be nice to get the Virus playing nicely :)

Thanks
    Mark Harris

unfortunately its not that simple with the soft knobs, as it depends on the patch.

the soft knobs themselves are not controls, instead they assigned to other controls.
    if they are assigned to a CC (often used for mod matrix) or a control which generates a CC, then they will send a CC to logic, and so be recorded. however, some patches map the soft know to a sound parameter that does have a CC mapping (this is a midi limitation, as there are only 127 CCs and the virus has many more parameters than that!), usually these are sent as sysex messages, which would not be recorded.

there are a few ways around this… the easiest is change the patch and assign a CC to the soft knob, and then use plugin automation on the controls you want to record.

you can only have one instance of the virus control plugin.
    BUT, as you saw you can get 16 tracks by using the multi timbal option.
    for outputs, the TI can do 3 USB audio tracks - so you can 3 faders for mixing.

I think there is a logic sample project to download somewhere on this website.
    but if you search for logic pro virus TI on you tube you will also find videos of how to set this up.

Virus Control is under software instrument / Au instruments / Access
    (make sure you select multi timbral, 16 parts, so you have access to all parts in VC)

and of course you can also use external instrument, if you don't want virus control

The TI takes some getting into, as there is so much to it. as others have said its tricky to find non edm focused patches, but not hard to make them yourself.

only get one synth at a time, so you can really learn that one, then you will know what (if anything) else you need - the TI (and i guess Motif) want (and deserve) your focussed attention :)

in classic mode, if you select the spectral wave as triangle, and then the wave shape pot will indeed morph between triangle to saw. (i.e. it morphs between the selected spectral wave and saw (and then onto saw - pulse)

the second developer beta was released yesterday, so I would hope (& assume) Access and their partners will be tracking this, to ensure we don't have a repeat of the issues we had when Mavericks was released.
    ( i don't care about the new features, just don't want it to break existing :) )

Id definitely try the analogue outputs - as this will tell you for certain if its the usb audio giving you problems, or the midi output to the TI.
    it doesnt sound like the latter, as you are 'seeing the sound' in VC.

the other interesting 'experiment' is when it is not working, plug some headphones into the Virus as see if its working there.

also... have you tried on different midi channels? if its not working on channel 1 try on channel 2 (the reason to test this, is there are two DSPs one usually deals with odd channels, the other even)

( I assume you have tried different USB cables)

if you have a midi keyboard, Id also try to use the TI 'standalone' , to test it works properly without a computer.

yes, the Virus does sound a bit different (I think better) through the analogue outputs, because it goes through the Virus DAC (and then back through your audio interfaces ADC).
    try it, and see which you prefer :)

of course, I would also email support, they will walk through your setup and get you up and running

are you using the analogue outs of the virus or the USB audio routed back through VC?
    (or SPDIF, in which case this will never work :))

distorted or no sound, but seeing midi data, seem to be likely to do with a sample rate mismatch between the Virus and the Mac.
    (though this would not explain the virus not found)

I assume you have your virus set to 'auto' for sample rate? (this means with usb it will follow the mac clock wherever that is derived from, probably your RME)

if your using your fireface as the audio interface, trying switch the sample rate back and forth when you have the problem next,
    and see if that cures it.
    I have an occasional issue with my focusrite where sometimes i initially don't get audio from the virus, and if i switch from 44 to 48 to 44 it works.

(btw, i really would stay with 44khz, until you have worked out the source of the problem... then of course you can try 48khz once you have it working properly)

good luck