Beiträge von MrSpeaker

So I mentioned this as part of another thread but never got a response; it was buried amongst some stupid questions that I worked out on my own. But this issue is pretty big, and I can't seem to resolve it.

I'm in Multi mode, with an Atomizer on one part and a lead sound on another. The lead is set to Output 1-2; the Atomizer to 3-4. But whenever I send signal into the Virus, it seems to play out both the output pairs. This is really irritating, is there any way around it or is that an innate part of the Atomizer?

Hi again,

So I've been trying to work out all of the kinks and am approaching (what I would call) a pretty dope DJ setup incorporating my Virus and a KP3 as sort of a master effects loop. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to program a 'wet:dry' balance control into an Atomizer patch. I know that on the default Atomizer patch, the mod wheel controls a similar 'blend'; with 'completely dry' dead center in the mod wheel and fully open filters at either extreme. While I have gotten some cool effects with this, it's kind of irritating to have the 'dry' smack-dab in the middle of the mod wheel. Sometimes I move it slightly too far upwards and the HPF comes back in, for example. I would much prefer the mod wheel to be 'dry' at one end, having the Atomizer 'fade in' across the entire movement of the wheel. Is this possible through the modulation matrix? Or is the mod wheel LPF+dry+HPF more 'hardwired' into the default Atomizer patch?

Also I'm still wondering if it's possible to save things like Keyboard Local status, or Output selection, INTO a patch. I asked this a while ago and didn't get a response; I assume it's not possible - as those are parameters found under 'CONFIG' and not under 'EDIT'. It's not really a big deal anymore, but if it IS possible that would save me a lot of time between switching from playing the Virus or a VST, right into beatmashing with the Atomizer.

Thanks again for your time!

EDIT: I just figured out my earlier problem, and figured out Multi Mode. Wow, can't believe I didn't see this before. Now my lower two octaves are Atomizer, and everything else is pointed at an instance of Massive (for now). Fun stuff!

What I'm still wondering about is how to separate the outputs, because it still seems like the Atomizer return is coming out both Out1-2, and Out3-4 even though the patch within the Multi is pointed out the second pair of outputs.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the Virus still, but just now starting to really use the Atomizer. I've expanded into DJing and have successfully routed Traktor into Ableton Live to trigger my own songs with some degree of control, alongside the set. No problems there; I'm using the Virus in standalone mode (no USB) and I've gotten the Atomizer to work as sort of a 'global send' with virtually no latency, out of its second analog output. I also have a couple of 'Instrument tracks' as a part of the set (for live patch manipulation/builds, etc.), one is taking audio from a MicroKORG XL and the other from the first output pair on the Virus. I believe the Virus is running in Sequencer Mode (two lights above 'MULTI' and 'SINGLE' are both lit; I'm able to browse parts with the PART buttons).

Here's where the annoying part comes in. I'd like to be able to switch easily from playing a synth patch (or tweaking knobs while MIDI plays through said patch), right into 'playing' the Atomizer. As it stands right now, in order to do that I have to hit EDIT, tab over to 'SURROUND' and switch the output to 'Analog 3-4', then hit the PART button a few times until I get to my preloaded 'ATOM INIT' patch. This also changes the outputs of every other part, meaning I'll immediately lose the ability to adjust mix levels for the track sending MIDI to the Virus (as its output will combine with the Atomizer output which carries the whole mix).

So what I'm wondering is if there's a way to tie outputs to a part or patch the same way other parameters are part-exclusive. I don't mind having to tab over to my Atomizer part (though I should probably move it from part 16 to make things quicker...), but I can definitely see myself forgetting to switch the output; as well, I'd like to keep the ability to mix the other MIDI channel. Is this possible at all? Am I running in the wrong 'mode'? Should I be in Multi Mode? I don't think I've ever stepped outside of Seq Mode.

Thanks for your time!

I've been having similar problems with my TI, both with the arpeggio and LFOs dropping out of sync. I've activated 'Sync' in my preferences for both Virus TI (MIDI) and (Synth) options (I'm using Ableton Live) and it seems to have some effect but the arpeggio and LFOs can still behave erratically. Changing from the beta back to 4.0.5.01 didn't solve the problem, either.

There's also a delay that I can't figure out for the life of me. Track delay seems to have zero effect on it, and it's also erratic, like the arpeggio/LFO sync issue.

So there's this funky instrument that you've probably heard in all sorts of horror movie soundtracks but may have never seen - I hadn't until yesterday. It's called a waterphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRB3CbvQBJA#t=0m36s

It has a very distinct, atonal, metallic and somewhat grating timbre. I'd love to be able to approximate it using my Virus TI. As a newbie to FM synthesis, I feel like this is a puzzle that'll help me understand FM.

Any ideas?

I'd also be interested in hearing about synthesis of some psytrance-style leads. It's not really what I make but I've always had a soft spot for Infected Mushroom's synths and melodies - I'm pretty sure they use a Nord Lead for most of their stuff, but the timbre can't be that difficult to recreate. The lead at 2:28 in The Shen, the cool distorted thing at 2:04 in Dracul, and the melody at 5:16 of Symphonatic are three things I've always been particularly curious about; came close but never able to nail them down.

Hey, thanks again for all your help. I seem to have it running with VC at a bearable level of latency that so far hasn't really impacted the ability to Atomize creatively.

I have my B return pointed at the track with VC on it, and set to pre-fader. I've created a MIDI track next to the VC track, pointed at it and set to channel 16, to control the Atomizer. I also have an audio track taking audio from my interface's 9/10 outputs, acting as the actual return for the Atomized audio. I had a lot of trouble turning the B send into one of those 'magic sends' (making the return act like an inline effect), so instead I used the crossfader on the APC40. All of the audio tracks are set to crossfade A, and the Atomizer return track (not the B return, the new track actually taking audio from the analog I/O) set to crossfade B. In this way, it allows me to simply arm the Atomizer MIDI channel (which I've mapped to a numpad key), turn up the B send on my chosen track, and snap the crossfader over to the right. There's a small gap/phasing in the middle of the crossfader but it's not really that noticeable. Maybe I should play around with crossfade settings.

Now, I'm still incurring a little bit of latency. Actually it seems like it would normally be an unacceptable amount, but in the few minutes I've experimented so far I haven't really had a problem. The B return is set to -29.76ms of delay compensation. I have a 'resampling' track that I use for burning track parts etc., so I've experimented with that and it seems like the first little bit of the first bar is cut off, so I think the solution is to start resampling with the crossfader to the left, and slam it over to the Atomizer AFTER I hit record.

But it's stable so far. One more question: Since I'm still technically using the USB, I guess I can pull the MIDI I/O from the Virus and free that up for another device, eh? Also, I guess I should learn how to use standalone mode in case I ever bring this thing onstage somewhere, lol.

Thanks a million for your responses, Shesh! You've been really helpful!

EDIT: Actually now it's acting up a little bit, things are coming out of time, etc. The Virus, for one thing, seems to be operating at a slightly higher tempo, meaning when I use the low octave to loop things by the 1/8th or 1/16th note, for example, their rate is faster than my track tempo. And I'm experiencing latency problems again, out of nowhere. Although, this could be my Live set, things have been acting up in that lately (right now my cue volume is going nuts, like there's some sort of LFO tied to it).

Thanks, this worked! ... Sort of.

I'm going to have to create some awkward mappings to turn the thing on and off as a return, but so far I am getting audio through it in my template Live set. Thank you again! I just have a couple more questions:
    - Why do I have to use a new audio track to return the audio from the Virus, instead of, for example, an instance of External Audio Effect?
    - Why do I have to point whatever material I'm sending, directly at the track with VC on it (meaning, I assume, directly out the TI's USB)? I can return audio from the Atomizer out the analog outs and through my interface, but whenever I try to point the outgoing audio at the analog out corresponding to the Atomizer's input, I get no sound.
    - Why do the effects on the Atomizer not work properly? I can get reverbs out of it fine, but when I so much as touch the Distortion Type/Mix knob, I lose the ability to Atomize.
    - As a matter of fact, half of the time it just doesn't work! I have to hit stop/play again, sometimes several times, to hear the effects of the Atomizer.
    - What's with this crazy latency I can't get rid of? If I send audio directly from a track to the track with VC on it, there is none. But that's not what I want; I want to be able to use the Atomizer as a return, - to be able to turn it on or off for any track I want to work with. So I've sent a track to my B return, and pointed the B return's 'Audio Out' to my VC plugin track. This works, but like I said there's an unbearable latency that I can't seem to get rid of, even using MULTIPLES of my overall latency (i.e: latency is 7.44ms, so I've tried -7.44, -14.88, ~-29, etc.).

Zitat

In Live, load VC, then create another midi channel and send its out put to the channel 1 on the TI. As you're only using USB for midi I believe you'll need to send the output to either Virus TI Midi or Virus TI Synth rather than the Virus TI channel itself.

As a related aside, I actually can't get MIDI signal into the TI if I use these options - even though I have enabled 'Track' and 'Sync' in the MIDI preferences for both ins/outs of both Virus TI (MIDI) and Virus TI (Synth), I still need to point external instrument devices at the channel with VC on it (I call it 'TI Control') to see MIDI data in the VC plugin. If I point the external instrument's MIDI output to 'Virus TI (MIDI)' or 'Virus TI (Synth)', I see nothing in VC.

Hi,

I just recently purchased a new audio interface and I'm now enjoying the sweet analog I/O of my Virus TI, but for the life of me I cannot get the Atomizer to work at all. I'm running the new beta OS for the Virus but nothing worked in 4.0.5 either. I'm using Ableton Live 8 Suite, on an iMac running OS 10.5.8, with a TC Konnekt48 as my audio interface. I am using USB interface and Virus Control only for MIDI, automation and editing arpeggios; sending all audio entirely into and out of the Virus' analog I/O. I have tried pulling the USB connection to no avail. Using the Virus as a synth works absolutely fine, but when I try to use the Atomizer I get no sound at all. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

So I'm pretty new at this; I own a Virus TI and try to produce D&B and dubstep. Right now there's a particular bass sound I'm trying to recreate, the only way I can describe it is that it's vaguely digeridoo-like, as if there's a resonant BPF moving right at a nice harmonic. Actually the best example I can find is here:
    Ewun - Screw Up (Upbeats remix) (and again at 2:37)

Try as I might, I can't seem to nail it down with the Virus. A friend suggested that it's all "layers and resampling" but I don't know what he's getting at. Any help would be awesome, thanks!