Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 11:14pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

Friday, October 14th 2011, 1:55am

Vintage Oscillators found!

The Octavius Wavetable is comprised of 6 different Vintage Sawtooths, each one an octave above the next. The wavetable fades very smoothly from the lowest octave all the way up to 2' octave. I thought all the wavetables were based on sine harmonics, but this is not true. When it's index is modulated by an LFO, you get the most amazing pad sounds.

Below is a Sonogram of the swept wavetable, left to right is time, at the bottom is low frequencies and as you make your way to the top the frequencies go higher and higher. Sawtooths contain all harmonics so you see all harmonic bands at the beginning, the dark black line at the bottom (C1) indicates fundamental frequency of the perceived note, the lines get thinner the higher you go up, and the upper harmonics get fainter. At C2 the line is darkest, same for the rest, C3,C4,C5 and finally C6.

Other vintage Oscillators to try are Eat Pulse, a crazy PWM type sound and Filtered Sqr, a filtered square wave (TR-606?), there's others and I'll have a detailed PDF examining all the wavetables, as well as the spectral waveshapes coming soon.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bobborries" (Oct 14th 2011, 11:03pm)

Friday, October 14th 2011, 11:24am

I'm loving your work Bob, keep it coming :thumbup:

Saturday, October 15th 2011, 9:48am

Thanks for your work.

Thursday, October 27th 2011, 6:46am

thats really helpful thanks for that

i didnt know there was saw waves in there

made an awesome patch with it so fankyou!

nms

Intermediate

Thursday, October 27th 2011, 7:24am

nice one bob!

dark_fader

Beginner

Tuesday, November 8th 2011, 11:59am

I posted this in the feature requests thread so I won't repeat myself too much.

Using sMexoscope and my ears, I couldn't see or hear any significant difference between the Octavius waves (at any octave) and the Virus classic saw. But playing around I found that some of the other wavetable oscillators were lovely, fat and rich sounding.

Octavius looks like a useful wavetable, but I don't think it's emulating vintage oscillators - I'd expect radical differences in wave shapes. But I'm more than happy to be proved wrong if you can point out those differences.

Wednesday, November 30th 2011, 1:22am

I posted this in the feature requests thread so I won't repeat myself too much.

Using sMexoscope and my ears, I couldn't see or hear any significant difference between the Octavius waves (at any octave) and the Virus classic saw. But playing around I found that some of the other wavetable oscillators were lovely, fat and rich sounding.

Octavius looks like a useful wavetable, but I don't think it's emulating vintage oscillators - I'd expect radical differences in wave shapes. But I'm more than happy to be proved wrong if you can point out those differences.

It sure looks like the MiniMoog Sawtooth to me, (is it a coincidence that the Mini had a 5 octave switch) by the way modulating the octavius table makes incredible sounding pads, classier than hypersaws.

Thursday, December 1st 2011, 5:28pm

It's the same saw as the classic saw oscillator. The only reason that it looks like the minimoog saw is because by defaut there is a little bit of analog boost. Take analog boost intensity to 0% and you're back with a 100% digital saw with the classic or octavius oscillator.