Friday, April 18th 2014, 5:39pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

Fuseball

Beginner

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:34pm

Ah. Looks like the 15 and 17 inch Macbook pros have the S/PDIF input via a Toslink mini-plug adapter.

Macbook Pro ports

Toslink adapter

I only have a 13 inch MB Pro, which doesn't have the extra input socket. Apologies for getting a bit confused there. Let us know how well it works. I'm pretty sure I have an S/PDIF input on my iMac that I've never used! :)

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 9:25pm

I bought an rca cable and the toe optical mini plug. I will try it out and let you know.

So Apple...pity the 13'' MBP doesn't have this input. Even my old macbook 2006 has one...

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 10:07pm

Ah. Looks like the 15 and 17 inch Macbook pros have the S/PDIF input via a Toslink mini-plug adapter.

afaik, these are all optical. these won't work without a converter, there is a optical and an electrical version of SPDIF
hth, marc
The official Virus TI facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/accessvirus

Saturday, April 14th 2012, 9:30pm

Just an update in this to whoever is interested.
The S/PDIF alternative seems to work fine with my logic projects. I didn't experience any issues with it like artifacts etc.
I don't know if the sound quality is better but it seems robust.

Monday, April 16th 2012, 5:39pm

I recently started recording thought the spidf connection from my darkstar into my Apollo - I have to say its much better. There is no conversion so you don't have any degradation of the signal. I feel the signal is even a little cleaner. Just my 2 cents. If you have the capability to go spidf then you should def try it out :thumbup:

scientificharmony

Unregistered

Monday, April 16th 2012, 5:57pm

I use SPDIF for audio, straight into my firewire Focusrite Saffire and the USB for MIDI data. Works like a charm. :)

nms

Intermediate

Tuesday, April 17th 2012, 10:14am

I recently started recording thought the spidf connection from my darkstar into my Apollo - I have to say its much better. There is no conversion so you don't have any degradation of the signal. I feel the signal is even a little cleaner. Just my 2 cents. If you have the capability to go spidf then you should def try it out :thumbup:
Just to clarify - this will be the same signal as sent over usb if using VC.

scientificharmony

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 17th 2012, 12:06pm

To my knowledge using SPDIF rather than USB for audio takes some of the strain away from the USB. Sounds seem to have more clarity and much cleaner via SPDIF. Works great on my setup. you can still use VC when using USB and SPDIF together as well.

Tuesday, April 17th 2012, 8:35pm

I realize that USB vs Spidf is pretty much the same signal, in my case I use spidf which goes into my UA Apollo which I track with some plugins and record straight into Logic with no latency 8)

Chain is usually a Studer Tape machine > neve 1073 > Fatso - Virus sounds INCREDIBLE :!: :!: 8o

nms

Intermediate

Wednesday, April 18th 2012, 6:02am

To my knowledge using SPDIF rather than USB for audio takes some of the strain away from the USB. Sounds seem to have more clarity and much cleaner via SPDIF. Works great on my setup. you can still use VC when using USB and SPDIF together as well.
it is quite literally the exact same sound. Marc of Jorg can confirm this. Try recording some takes through each and compare. Your ears can hear funny things when you expect them to!