Thursday, April 24th 2014, 3:32pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

sp33s

Beginner

• "sp33s" started this thread

Friday, April 13th 2012, 11:58pm

Virus USB ASIO driver doesn't make a sound

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Virus, bought my Virus Snow a few days ago. But I'm a technical person, so I'm quite capable of handling some technical info ;)

Anyways, everything is working fine. However, with my Virus USB ASIO Driver selected as an audio device I'm not hearing a damn thing (I do hear audio via ASIO4all selected however). I had the same thing going on at my work PC, so I believe I'm overlooking something incredibly stupid here. However I've been Googling for an hour or so and cannot find a solution, and rarely seem to find a similar topic (only one on infekted.org, without a reply).

In Ableton I can see the meters moving, so there is actually audio being transfered. Even in Windows when I select it as my default audio device, and play music through it the meter in the Playback Devices (under the speaker icon) moves.

Specs:
Win7 x64
Access Virus Snow via USB only
Ableton 8.2

Thank you :)

Saturday, April 14th 2012, 12:56am

Sounds like something not enabled in your DAW or windowz, if the meters are moving the set up is ok. Just routing is wrong. Its hard to tell if not sat in front of ur PC...

As a long shot try reinstalling Virus Drivers

or... In the meantime i suggest reading the manual until someone answers... Good luck!

Saturday, April 14th 2012, 10:37am

Make sure to check all possible places along the signal path - any fader set too low? any plug not connected well?

sp33s

Beginner

Saturday, April 14th 2012, 12:54pm

Sounds like something not enabled in your DAW or windowz, if the meters are moving the set up is ok. Just routing is wrong. Its hard to tell if not sat in front of ur PC...

As a long shot try reinstalling Virus Drivers

or... In the meantime i suggest reading the manual until someone answers... Good luck!
Make sure to check all possible places along the signal path - any fader set too low? any plug not connected well?
Yeah but what am I supposed to do if the meters are moving? What else can I possibly change to have some audible feedback? And which plugs by the way, I am ONLY using USB. And USB doesn't work when it's in half way. Or am I not supposed to only use USB?

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 9:31am

For example, are you working in VC in 3 out / 1 in mode? This could prevent the Virus from functioning as a soundcard. And what about the Virus analog outs? What are they connected to? a mixer? monitors?

sp33s

Beginner

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 1:49pm

I've got 2 outs, no input on. I've tried all three modes, no success whatsoever. Also tried all "surround output" L+R's.

No luck :(

As for audio out, I only have USB and the power plug in the back. Seeing Windows is receiving audio feedback (meters moving) I assumed no audio out cable was required because it's functioning as a soundcard. Is an audio out cable required?

By the way flabberbob thanks for your time and effort to help me out here. I really appreciate it a lot.

Ace17

Trainee

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 4:08pm

I assumed no audio out cable was required because it's functioning as a soundcard. Is an audio out cable required?

Of course it is! :D
Plug your speakers directly to the analog outs of your Virus, or use the "headphone" plug if you want to hear something.

sp33s

Beginner

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 4:43pm

OK that wasn't entirely clear. That's why I said multiple times I use USB only. It wasn't completely clear to me as I'm not too familiar with external soundcards and such, but it makes sense now. I just thought it would send its audio to my PC's onboard card, only with better latency. Gotta get some cables then soon :)

One small question on the side. Am I able to play audio from my Snow WITHOUT having to start my DAW and WITHOUT MIDI cables? Preferably starting Virus Control in some sort of stand-alone mode to still have easy access to all patch parameters.

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 5:33pm

You can use a lightweight VST host for this purpose. There are too many to mention.

sp33s

Beginner

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 6:03pm

Ah thanks, SAVIHost didn't work for me. But thanks to your list I found MiniHost, which does the job perfectly. Thanks!