Mac M1, Parallels and Windows ARM and TI

• I thought I would check to see if I could get Virus Control working on the Windows side on a Mac M1.

I had Parallels and Windows ARM running on my Mac M1 but could not get the 32 nor 64 bit VC to install.

It just completed with an unexplained error.

Looks like that there are no options.

Anyone tried this on a Mac M1?

• Bump.

I’m considering getting a newer Intel Mac (my current one is a mid 2010 MacBook) and setting it to dual-boot the current OS and the last version compatible with Virus Control.

The alternative is an Apple Silicon Mac with a Windows VM like Parallels. Has anyone gotten this to work?

• How about keeping the old MacBook, installing the latest available macOS and Virus Control software and then use AudioGridder to integrate it into the DAW on your new Mac?

I did some experiments with such a setup last weekend and it seemed to work really well regarding timing accuracy (recorded audio 3 samples ahead of note start! Magnitudes better than any MIDI based solution) but it was a bit shaky regarding setup. Also, AudioGridder currently doesn’t support the 3 pairs of stereo audio return channels, just a single pair.

And it’s free (donationware), so no obstacle to try it out.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Interesting.

If my use case were using the TI plug-in in a DAW, that could be worth looking into.

I sequence my TI2 with a Squarp Hapax hardware sequencer. I use a DAW for recording audio, but have no interest in the plug-in.

I’ll probably just do what was planned - acquire a much newer Intel Mac and dual-boot it so I’m on MacOS 14 for everything other than Virus Control, and MacOS 10.14 for the rare times when I need VC.

If someone told me they had VC reliably running in a Windows VM on Apple Silicon, I would have considered that option. It is possible (and supported by Microsoft) to run Windows 11 on Apple ARM processors. Will the x86 code of Virus TI run in that? The material I found indicated there are several ARM-based options for emulation of an x86 processor, but they’re slow and unreliable. To me, it’s not worth the hassle of playing with Windows and a buggy X86 emulator.

• With my experience using dial boot for the last 3 years, I would not recommend that path today. Latest machine running macOS 10.14 is the 2018 Mac mini, which is probably supported for another two years and then you’ll need a newer machine to run your DAW on a current macOS.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks for the very good advice (I’ve been in I/T since the 80’s and I know you’re right).

That said, I’m getting an Intel MacBook Pro from work at a very low price, so it doesn’t represent much of an investment.

I need a machine in my rack to configure my Virus and a bunch of other gear, so the dual-boot offers very high utility to me. One machine will serve many configuration purposes and the cabling to support it will require the flip of a couple switches to go from one use case to another.

I use Logic Pro iPad, so the actual TI plug-in itself isn’t relevant to me.

ozon have you looked into these?

OpenCore Legacy Patcher

https://www.vmware.com/uk/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html

• DovGoldman thank you for the links. Never heard of OpenCore but that looks quite interesting to squeeze a couple of years more out of legacy hardware! I used to have a Fusion license long time ago, but was never really happy with the performance.

I am currently in a similar situation in that I could have a mint condition 2008 MacBook for free (and pimp it with a spare SSD), which could be used to run legacy software on macOS 10.6.8 such as the Akai Z8 editor. However, then it cannot run anything remotely current. Another option would be to install some kind of Linux or Windows on it. Or go for a newer laptop running Windows 10 to allow all those applications and AudioGridder to just work on the same OS. I definitely don’t want a dedicated legacy computer for each piece of audio hardware 😅

• ozon thats exactly my concern. I want only 1 computer to support my music needs.

I do own a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that I upgraded years ago to more RAM and an SSD. I would use OpenCore to install Sonoma, but it’s already ridiculously slow on Mojave.

I am hoping to get a 2019ish Intel MacBook Pro from my employer at a very low cost, and using OpenCore, load a dual-boot configuration of Mojave and Sonoma.

• DovGoldman Mojave is most probably not supported on the 2019 MacBook Pro, and is definitely not supported by OpenCore.

Check here:

macOS Systemvoraussetzungen - Welche macOS oder Mac OS Version läuft auf meinem Apple Mac?
    Je nach Modell können unterschiedliche Betriebssysteme auf Ihrem Apple Mac installiert werden. Wir zeigen Ihnen das ursprüngliche Betriebssystem und das macOS,…
    maconline.de

Fingers crossed it is a 15,1 model.

• ozon Thank you. Do you know if Virus Control runs on later MacOS versions (beyond 10.14)?

I don’t use TI. All I care about is Virus Control to manage the hardware. If I had a burning need to program my Virus from software, I would use an iPad app anyway.

——————-

Posted as a new thread.

• ozon it seems I’ve got some kind of Intel-based MacBook Pro heading my way from my employer. I’m assuming it’s a 2019 or 2020 model.

Given what you’ve said and my research, it seems like a fool’s errand to attempt to configure this laptop to run Virus Control. I’d rather spend the time learning Bach, Beethoven, the Beatles and much great music that doesn’t begin with “B” as well as learning how to use my Kemper Profiler Player and play my guitar. Priorities…

I’ll keep my mid-2010 MBP running Mojave to configure/manage my Virus Ti2, and use the new laptop for everything else. Since I haven’t run Virus Control in over a year, I doubt I’ll need to do it very often.

Oh well!

• It is unbelievable! That's how it happens everywhere, we can't move forward as quickly/efficiently and comfortably as we want because we are restricted and slowed down by such banal things. Unfortunately, there is a method to this madness in every industry.

• New idea - crazy perfectionist, software and integration engineer who doesn’t let a machine “beat” me - takes me a long time to give up!

Option 1: Use VMWare to install/run Mojave in an Intel-based MacBook Pro loaded with Sonoma.

Apparently others have done this:

Aus der Community MacOS auf Reddit
    Entdecke diesen Beitrag und mehr aus der Community MacOS
    www.reddit.com

Option 2: Install Mojave within a Parallels virtual machine.

This may actually be directly supported:

Older Mac OS X versions and Parallels 19
    Hello, Knowledge base article 124223 specifies that older Mac OS X versions up to Mac OS X 10.5 are supported, however there is a note with older...
    forum.parallels.com

I’ve used Parallels quite successfully in the past. Maybe I can upgrade my old license. Once I have the Mac, I may give this a try. Crazy, but worth an hour or so to see what happens. I will report back.

• ozon Thank you. Do you know if Virus Control runs on later MacOS versions (beyond 10.14)?

Nothings Virus related works beyond macOS 10.14. Unfortunately.

• Virus Control works for me in Parallels under Mojave (Intel 2020 MacBook Pro i5 shipped with Catalina and can't downgrade), but overall MacOS performance is somewhat slow. I may need to allocate more RAM or CPU power to Parallels, but didn't have a chance to look into this yet.