Problem with MIDI timings on heavier patch

• Hello.

Virus TI2 Desktop new owner here.

OS 5.1.7 / 3.3.0 / 3.3.4

Not particularly heavy patch but this is what I have.

1 Saw OSC, no 2nd osc

Unison to 8

Release on 12 oclock

Filter settings so that I can see transients clearly.

First note is aligned to grid so no recording delay is involved.

How is this possible that some notes are bang on, some are around 10-16ms of latency? And its' not static, every note timings are different?

As was suggested on forum, I've downgraded TI to 3.3.4, it helped nothing. I've tried the oldest I could get, which is 3.3.0 and still nothing.

I've tried all possible connections: MIDI from RME UCX II, USB directly to macbook, MIDI from NI S88 Mk2, no change.

I'm very frustrated because I always dreamed of virus TI2 and now I have it and I can't use it!

Best Regards, Andrey

• Unison 8 is very heavy on resources because AFAIR it multiplies everything, including envelopes and filters. Try the Hypersaw oscillator instead. Add Unison of 2 or 3 for stereo spread, if desired. It’s not as lound and thick but will get you a very simular tone character. Use the EQ and Analog Boost to add a touch of weight and sizzle.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Unison 8 is very heavy on resources because AFAIR it multiplies everything, including envelopes and filters. Try the Hypersaw oscillator instead. Add Unison of 2 or 3 for stereo spread, if desired. It’s not as lound and thick but will get you a very simular tone character. Use the EQ and Analog Boost to add a touch of weight and sizzle.

I've just tried, 3, same story unfortunately. Altough, its not 16ms but 10

• > MIDI from NI S88 Mk2

How did you measure the latency in this scenario?

Since all other scenarios include USB in some way, I'd suspect USB latency to play a role. With plain MIDI the latency should be gone, which is why I'd be very surprised if controlling the Virus from a MIDI controller still shows latency issues.

• > MIDI from NI S88 Mk2

How did you measure the latency in this scenario?

Since all other scenarios include USB in some way, I'd suspect USB latency to play a role. With plain MIDI the latency should be gone, which is why I'd be very surprised if controlling the Virus from a MIDI controller still shows latency issues.

First transient is aligned to grid, so no external latency from USB or whatever is not included.

• Update:

I've connected it to my Windows machine and tried the same scenario via TI Plugin. Everything is bang on the grid! However my music machine is mac and I cant use TI there.

Sorry , I totally overlooked that you initially didn’t use TI. Your observation confirms what Access have always claimed: The timing with (a properly working) TI setup is sample accurate.

Which is one more reason to not buy into any third party TI replacement, but asking for a proper official update!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+