Beiträge von flabberbob

You might be able to if you modulate whatever is controlling the envelope amount (osc volume / enevelope amount / routing amount) by a sawtooth LFO in ENV mode, the top graph can be acheived with positive LFO routing and the bottom one can be acheived by negative routing. But I'm just saying that for the sake of the argument. It's obvious that the more parameters we have, the more LFOs we can free up for more useful tasks.

You know what I'd like to have? Instead of ADS for note on and R for note off, I'd like to have ADS for both, or at least an ENV LFO that can be triggered by a note off.

What do you hear when you move the source mix slider to both extreme positions? Remember to do this when the Virus track is armed and the audio source that you are routing into the virus is either a pre-recorded track that is playing, or a live input track that is armed.

I get this too, once in a while, for no apparant reason. That's why I always make sure to leave a few bars of silence at the beginning of the project. This way, I get no artifacts when I am rendering. When just recording or auditioning from the middle of the track, I don't really mind it happening.

To use the Virus for effects, you need to dedicate one of its parts (channels) for it and define an input based patch. If you're working in stand alone, it's in the Single edit, input menu. If you're using the VSTi, it's in FX1.

but not the voice or the sound from the input

You probably know that, but for other people reading - You are not supposed to hear the input itself, but to hear the source sound (oscillators, noise, or another input) being given the properties of your input, in terms of the balance between spectral components. This way, a synth sound can be given the properties of speech.

I have noticed, with input based patches, that since the original input keeps coming out of USB1 out, I need to send my input based patch to USB2 or 3 and mute USB1.
    -- Edit -- More things to try: change vocoder mode from Osc hold to Oscillator. Go to the FX1 tab and play around with the input options. Try static, dynamic, and off again, while the input is coming from your DAW.

You need to remember that sometimes our perception of the sound is influenced by other sounds around it, and very often the sound had gone through various production modifications such as adding effects, EQing and compression. So I suggest you try to build a production around your sound and see how it interacts with it.

Actually, the "old computer" sounds are the simplest... All you need is a raw classic waveform (square, sawtooth, triangle or sine) and use simple modulations on them, as old computers used mostly pitch (vibrato) and volume changes. The arpeggiator is probably useful for the trill-chords, where you play a chord one note at a time (ascending/descending arpeggio), but really REALLY quickly.
    My most favorite computer-sound-emulation patch, that came with the Virus is the Atari explosion - AtariCr@sh. Support people, if you happen to read this please tell Matt Picone, that every time I feel bad I load this sound, play with it and feel better.

The bad news is that there is no feasible way to freeze a Virus (MIDI) track since the Virus cannot run offline. The problem is that the VSTi and the sound engine run on different CPUs and negotiate over the USB. The only solutions I can think of are (a) to build a hard drive into the Virus so it can bounce itself on demand (can't see that happening), or (b) program some kind of a background-real-time bounce feature into the DAW, which will use all the time when you are not using the Virus for bouncing tracks for itself.
    The good news is that you can make use of the 3 USB audio outs, and alternate between them as output routings for your patches. This way (if your DAW has this feature) you can resample/record output of 3 Virus tracks at a time. A x3 speedup should not be taken lightly.
    Bouncing tracks to audio is good practice before the final mixing stage, whatever the instrument is - it gives you a clean slate off of which to start your mixing (preferably in a new project file/directory).

Let me see... sounds like it is based on hypersaw. The wah-wah effect is done using a filter, so either use the filter section - maybe lowpass with some resonance, and make it follow a filter envelope with a slow attack - or modulate the vowel filter or a comb filter instead.

I've never tried it myself, but according to the literature you should be able to connect microphones and turntables to the input, in the following conditions:

• The Virus does not supply phantom power... in this case you need a preamp.
    • In the Config menu there is an option to boost the input, values go 0 to 127, but I don't know exactly what they mean. Anyway, low values for inline and high values for mics and turntables.
    • If you are connecting a turntable you need to change the frequency response curve of the input to "phono".

Hope this helps.

I suppose the tutorial only is valid when Virus TI snow is installed, right?

This tutorial has nothing to do with the Virus... it's something I found that deals with USB in win7 - as a general rule I think it's good for EVERYONE to know what goes where in their computer.

Zitat

Now only some latency problems. Work around for that anybody?

Use LIVE mode (button on buttom left) when recording and just playing around, and turn off live mode when rendering.

Before you buy a PCIe card (which might help - if you connect the Virus alone to it) you can try the following:

Disconnect all external USB devices from the computer (well, you can leave the keboard and mouse if you have no other choice) and follow the tutorial here: http://support.glidetv.com/ent…eceiver-in-device-manager until step 4, so that you can see what your USB architecture looks like. If you can connect everything back again (including changing the port of the keyboard/mouse if needed) so that the virus has its own dedicated "USB host controller" then it might work without needing to get extra hardware.