Unknown filter noise in my Virus TI2

• Hello!

Some time ago I discovered a strange noise (disharmonic) while using the filter. It mainly occurs when unison is activated. Are you familiar with this problem? Or can you try to recreate it?

I have added two examples. You can listen to it with monitor speakers or headphones. You can't hear it so well on your smartphone. The patch is actually just hypersaw and unison (no FXs). It doesn't matter whether it's 2x or 8x.
    I'm worried that there's something wrong with my model.

Thanks in advance!

The Sound

Virus Filter Problem.zip

The Patch/Program

Test Bank.zip

• Here with your patch.mid = no interference
    There is an assignment of the MW in SLOT1… I say to myself: is your modulation wheel on your synth working well? Doesn't shift on its own?

To check this:
    with the application (mac or pc) "MIDI Monotor" the keyboard connected this software shows you in real time what comes in midi data (the MW = "ACTIVE SENSE"

• Here with your patch.mid = no interference
    There is an assignment of the MW in SLOT1… I say to myself: is your modulation wheel on your synth working well? Doesn't shift on its own?

To check this:
    with the application (mac or pc) "MIDI Monotor" the keyboard connected this software shows you in real time what comes in midi data (the MW = "ACTIVE SENSE"

Hello, thank you!

This definitely has nothing to do with the modwheel. It happens to me even without the assignment. It always occurs when Unison is enabled and affects the filter. Whenever the filter is closed quite far. It can be heard best at 8x unison.

At first I think it could possibly be a DSP error. Could you hear the noise in my sound samples? You can hear it clearly during the filter rides.

Maybe it's also the nature of the virus. But I've never noticed it until now. I would be interested to know if it sounds the same to you as it does to me. It is important to trigger the notes in quick succession. That's where you hear it best.

There are very simple settings:

Hypersaw/Hypersaw

unison

Amp Attack 30

Amp Release 40

Filter: Cutoff 35-50/ Resonance: 20/ Env 40

(no effects)

For all outputs (USB, audio out, headphones)

• Some time ago I discovered a strange noise (disharmonic) while using the filter. It mainly occurs when unison is activated. Are you familiar with this problem?

colom2000 you set up 2 Hypersaw oscillators set to 9 voices each (= 18 virtual oscillators), and Unison 8, which results in 144 virtual saw oscillators, quite detuned. That produces a lot of clashing overtones which are perceived as noise. Then these noisy 144 saw waves run into two (virtual analogue) filters in series with a the resonance set to about a quarter. You are probably already overloading the filters at the input, which results in overdrive or distortion around the resonance frequency. The resonance slides through a large part of the spectrum, so it crosses many overtones. The whole set up is also very loud, and may produce digital clipping during calculation of the sound.

BTW, it's total overkill to use UNISON 8 with two Hypersaw OSC at density 9. You could also use UNISON twin for the stereo effect, and then add a noise oscillator to add the grainyness, which is much easier on the DSPs, is less prone to digital clipping and allows more voices.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• ozon

Many thanks for your feedback.

I can 100% understand what you mean. I would never seriously use a sound like that in a track. I only chose these exaggerated settings because then you can hear the noise better. But it definitely also occurs in Unison Twin and the normal waveforms (Saw/Sine). Regardless of the resonance values or the level, I had already reduced it and the noise was there unchanged. The only thing that would be interesting to me is whether this noise also occurs on your devices when you use my preset or just with 2x unison.

I just want to rule out the possibility that my device isn't defective because I've never noticed it before.

Edit: I made a new sample...It´s only Saw unison, filter and a bit env amount and amp rel ca. 40-50...It´s really crazy and I checked the same settings with my Virus C. There isn´t any noise

• I don't understand:
    When listening to Filter Noise.mp3 I don't hear any noise. My audio system is not performing well?
    So, have you tested your side with different audio devices at home?

Hmm, you can´t hear it? So it´s a lower "disharmonic" noise. It´s not white noise or something, It´s just disharmonic...I can only hear it when unison is active and a bit longer amp release time (from 30) and at all waveforms. I have a Virus C there´s nothing at the same settings (saw-unison-release 40-filt env 40-cut off 40).

It definitely doesn't depend on the sound system. I also listen to it on the headphones and connected directly to the virus.

I´m really helpless. Yesterday I contacted the support, let´s see....

Btw, my problem is, i can´t check it on another VIrus TI here in my near. I have only the Virus C and there is no such a noise in the filter.

• Sorry for the long delay.

I can hear it now in the sample. However, without the preset it's hard to tell your settings. It sounds as if there's a good deal of filter resonance going on in that sound.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• If you can, put your patch file in .mid (compressed in .zip so you can post it here) ;)

Sorry for the long delay.

I can hear it now in the sample. However, without the preset it's hard to tell your settings. It sounds as if there's a good deal of filter resonance going on in that sound.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delay. So here´s the patch mid

• Here, your "test.mp3" listened, I do not hear your noise.
    So, here is your patch loaded and launched.
    Afterwards, my listening system is not efficient enough? (besides the background noise in my recording which comes from Hub interference, I know it) My exemple in Wav is too big, so, need to send in mp3 :/

• Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delay. So here´s the patch mid

Ok, thanks. That definitely does not reproduce the "roughness" or "out-of-tune bark" in the lower mids as can be heard in your example recording on my TI2 Darkstar.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Here, your "test.mp3" listened, I do not hear your noise.
    So, here is your patch loaded and launched.
    Afterwards, my listening system is not efficient enough? (besides the background noise in my recording which comes from Hub interference, I know it) My exemple in Wav is too big, so, need to send in mp3 :/

Thank you for your sample! So I can´t here the noise/sound in your sample...

Ok, thanks. That definitely does not reproduce the "roughness" or "out-of-tune bark" in the lower mids as can be heard in your example recording on my TI2 Darkstar.

So I guess, it´s a special characteristic in my Virus TI2. Maybe because of DSP, I don´t know. Anyway, I can live with it, it´s no problem. Many thanks for your feedback :thumbup:

• Just out of curiosity: What version of firmware (TI OS) is your Virus TI2 running on?

• Some more questions: How did you record your example? Which outputs did you use? And at what value is the main volume knob on the hardware?

(and yes, I just recently found out that this is relevant, and the Virus can be driven internally into heavy digital clipping even when recording purely digital.)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Some more questions: How did you record your example? Which outputs did you use? And at what calue is the main volume knob on the hardware?

(and yes, I just recently found out that this is relevant, and the Virus can be driven internally into heavy digital clipping even when recording purely digital.)

I tried all outputs, audio, USB and headphones.

There was noise at all outputs.

I recorded the example via audio output with a total level of 3 o'clock (rotary knob).

I also changed the internal levels, but the noise was still there. I definitely rule out internal overcontrol.

However, I recently discovered another interesting thread here. It was about timing problems with unison in connection with the filter and LFO. I think you wrote something about that too. I have to look for the thread, I can't find it right now.

Edit: Now I found the thread. Could that have something to do with it?