Best USB Hub for Virus TI computer connection?

• I've never been able to get my Virus TI original to sync with Virus Control at a latency that's at all workable. The software is rarely able to sync with the keyboard, and when it does there is a ton of latency and sometimes extra distortion. It's a shame because I want to get into VirusControl to create arpeggiator patterns. I'm using a Macbook Pro, I7 quad core with Ableton Live, and I have my latency at a very nice level for everything else that I do.

An Access Virus rep told me to try connecting to a USB hub. Anyone know of one that works with the Virus TI? Or anything else to try? I know USB 1.1 speed is the main culprit...

Thanks!
    Matt

• IIRC it was the Belkin F5U237v1, but anyway the most important thing is to make sure that the hub is based on a multi-TT chipset, before you buy it.
    Without the hub, you can first try the Virus on all the available USB ports with no other USB device connected (and also the camera and IR communications disabled if you know how to do that), until you find a port with the least crackle. Then add everything else one by one and see how it influences things. Regarding latency when playing live, VC has the "live" mode button for that, it reduces response time but increases the risk of crackle, so the rule is "live" mode for MIDI recording, non-"live" mode for bouncing down to audio.

• The Access Virus uses USB1.1, and the key to a high quality connection is that the Virus MUST be the ONLY USB1.1 device on a specific root hub...and preferably be the only USB device on that root hub (ie no USB2.0 devices either). The issue is not bandwidth per se, but timing of the data stream as all USB1.0/1.1 devices share a common 12mbps link.
    The installation information from Access covers how to check for this, and if like me, you have a lot of USB gear, using an external hub or additional USB PCI card so the Virus can have its own root hub is a good idea....

• flabberbob
    I think I need to go the hub route, I've tried disabling things on my Macbook Pro and it doesn't help enough.

Do you recommend any other multi TT hubs? That Belkin one seems to get really bad reviews for quality.

Thanks!