Beiträge von rhbmcse

OK - did you get this sorted.

My experience of this is that

a) Youre connected to a USB 3 port - Virus' don't like that - use USB2. Even if it shows up in VC app and 'looks oo' the sound can be messed up - try it with audio cables to prove this is the case.

b) Your cable is longer than 5 or knackered

c) If you're using any kind of audio interface them make sure that the clocks are synced to 44.1khz and not 48.

Cheers.

Rob.

abraxa - I suspect you're the guy for this.

My white TI polar showed up today.

Upon testing the first note (bottom C) has no after touch. The note doesn't feel like it has the 'second stage' that is required for after touch. This is - all the other notes have a secondary 'pivot' at the point of 'normal' resistance at which point you can see the back of the key lift up when the additional after touch pressure is applied. This particular key does not do this and hence has no after touch. This is only the case with the Polar keybed - my TI-2 61 does not do this - just for reference and is obviously a different keybed..

Obviously I can return - maybe the best route. Just wondered if this is something you've come across before and whether it's something that can be fixed easily or whether we're talking a physical problem and parts required ?

Video as sent to the seller is below (may need to download as streaming it from Google Photos seems to not stream too well)...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pv6r6doGaacm5hDA7

Cheers.

Rob.

The „stressometer“ indicates the complexity or „stress factor“ of the patch, not the current CPU load. A patch with level 1/5 can be played with much higher polyphony (something like 90 or so, we did some tests here on the forum) than a patch with level 5/5 (max polyphony about 6) before voice stealing will occur. Also, the Virus will apply several strategies before starting to steal voices, such as temporal „smearing“ where chords are audibly arpeggiated, envelopes become less snappy and LFOs fall out of sync, as well as audible degradation of complex sounds by reducing the harmonic spectrum which is most obvious on FM sounds.

Also important to know is that voice stealing and graceful degradation are handled differently in MULTI and SEQ modes. It seems that in SEQ mode, Part 1 can use both DSPs while all other Parts are only using one DSP with all odd numbered share one DSP and all even numbered Parts share the other DSP. This knowledge can come in handy to optimize distribution of load for an arrangement.

Useful info Oli.

I've also got my 3rd virus en-route (a white Polar) so with 3 x Virus' on my A-Frame - TI-61, Darkstar and White Polar (goodbye Arturia Minibrute heap of crap) I'm sure I'll have enough parts / voices / processing power !!! Can't get enough of the virus and I'm only at the start of my journey.

I hear you and was rapidly coming to the same conclusion.

I can see that TI is great for writing and producing - I'll be doing some of that.

I'll also be doing some performing - albeit at home.

Bearing in mind I also have a NI Maschine that I'll want to use for drums and a bucket load of Komplete Ultimate VSTs at my disposal that I can't use with the MPC live I'm going to try to stick to CUBASE as I don't believe these can be used in the MPC (although Kitmaker can convert Maschine Add-Ons I believe).

Cubase suits my more linear workflow of writing, plus I can record vocals, I have tonnes of EQs and compressors also on NI flavour.

Maybe I'll use the MPC live if I'm out and about but I can see it getting relegated now that I've got my whole studio up and running again.

My current thinking is that I'll use TI for composing / producing within Cubase - I can see how it makes life easier.

I'll use MULTI mode with Cubase if I'm writing something that I'm going to be performing.

The MPC is a great tool but it doesn't stand up against all the other goodness that I'm surrounded with.

Appreciate this has gone well beyond the original scope of the topic and I still have so much to figure out.

Would you rather me start new threads per-question, or stick to augmenting this thread ? - There will be more questions !!!

Thanks again.

Rob.

Regarding splits: You have to do them differently in SEQ mode. The basics are the same as MULTI. You are using several Parts to play at the same time. In SEQ you would instead have to route your incoming MIDI to all the Parts you want to use together and set up the range splits (which is a Note filter) in the DAW. In Cubase you would have to set up a Transformer in the MIDI Insert for a MIDI Track to a Part. The Transformer uses a Filter Target of Type Note and Value1 of Pitch to be less or more than a certain note and apply the Function Delete.

It's a bit more complicated than to set up Parts on the Virus in MULTI Mode, but it is much more powerful because you could to all sorts of processing on the incoming notes for a certain Part, like additional transpositions, automatic chording, enforcing a scale or changing the dynamics.

Need your help on this one Oli. This is going way over my head :( Doing it in Multi mode was so easy. I've already got my splits set up on the virus and I can get cubase to play the parts that I need when I want it to easily enough. As soon as I use TI I'm limited to one sound per MIDI channel. I want to actually play the parts and have CUBASE take over where it's not possible to play them all. Doing it this route also means I can't just play without firing up CUBASE to do lots of complex routing for me and I guess then I'm stuck to only being able to select the appropriate multi when the sequence reaches that point ? Not sure that this route works for my use case ? I want to perform, not just have CUBASE regurgitate something that I've written although I'll want it to do that as well but frequently I'll want to play parts...

Welcome your thoughts or any kind of demo if I'm misunderstanding.

At present I have 3 parts all on CH1 - A rolling bassline sound, a chime / piano in the middle and a synth lead at the top.

Simply recording this into Cubase in Ch1 on 3 different tracks allows me to mute the parts that I want to play - or I can just record the parts that I don't play.

The TI route seems very restrictive and takes me away from the Synth Hardware which is what I love. Standing in front and performing. I'm not feeling the TI at the moment TBH.

Cheers.

Rob.

Hey Oli - slight problem - I don't have a 'Personal Libraries; - Only Public and my actual virus. Any idea why I don't have a Personal libraries ? I tried doing it in Public libraries but it just doesn't list them...

Figured it out - didn't have RW permissions on the Patches folder - added myself with RW permissions and now it works...

Yup I have a TI2 61 key and a TI2 Darkstar. The TI2 61 seems to handle this patch better than the DS for some reason.

The link with the recordings unfortunately doesn't work for me - I receive a 404 error message.

Yes - I removed it from my google drive. Satisfied that it's not a HW error now although there are differences between the two. If I push the TI2 61 it also breaks up with this patch, just doesn't seem to do it so readily, but it does do it. Clearly the virus doesn't like this patch much which surprises me - I thought the TI2 could handle pretty much anything. I was wrong.

OK - so I managed to reproduce this on my other virus. It doesn't give up anywhere near as quickly as the DarkStar indicating that there must be some kind of HW difference between the two units despite my belief that they should be indentical - they clearly are not. The TI2 61 has apparently more processing power ?

The TI2 handles the patch as a SPLIT playing other parts as well and has to be really pushed to break up, the DS gives up much sooner. Anyway I'm satisfied that the HW is OK which I'm very relieved about.

Thank you all for your inputs as always.

Much appreciated.

abraxa - I left it off all afternoon and just fired it up - the crackling is evident from the first chord that I played.

I'll leave it on for a while now and keep testing but it does seem to be there from cold.

I'll record and example into Cubase now using the Audio outs - still not sure how I can share ? - Please advise.

Cheers.

Rob.

Yet again - this forum proves to be the most friendly and helpful ones that I've ever come across.

abraxa I'll certainly provide an audio sample just as soon as I've finished work and have some time at the Virus - how would you like this delivered ? - Can it be uploaded here ?

Please also perform the following test:

- Leave Virus off for 30 minutes

- Turn Virus on and play the sustained pad that causes the crackling

- Leave Virus on for 30 minutes

- Play the sustained pad again

I will certainly do so - just as soon as I'm free from the shackles of work.

I'd like to keep it - it's pretty much an immaculate Darkstar.

Incidentally - as far as I can see, one the seller lists the item as 'Refunds not accepted' when one tries to click on 'return item' (which is the only route to get to their resolution centre) it allows you to type your reason for return etc but the box to actually send it is greyed out so there is no way to progress it.

If it's a simple fix with the soldering iron and a 5v VRM I'm up to the job but will obviously liaise with the seller who will probably browsing this forum anyway looking for an answer - in fact I know he is ! I don't believe this was intentional on his part - I've spoken at length with him on the phone and he's a genuine guy. I'd rather keep it.