Beiträge von mitchiemasha

Set it up as an external instrument in Cubase. In my set up with hardware, if I put the latency too tight or too loose the timing goes wrong

What is happening is something along these lines. The buffer in your sound card/daw set up means your computer plays everything later. Normally the problem we get, say with singing or playing VST's is we hear the sound later, creating monitoring issues due to latency. With midi and recording the midi with the DAW triggering the midi, though, it's the opposite. As when you'd play it live, record the midi notes via a keyboard, those midi notes would record intime, Cubase compensates for the latency settings, because of this when recording the audio via a loop back as such in the DAW it records the audio early. As the midi recorded is triggering the hardware, the hardware comes into Cubase and is sent out again (this should be intime) but when you record that to an audio track back into Cubase, the newly recorded track will be ahead of time.

I just fried my head trying to put that in words, might not come across right. I'm just messing about with the same in my own studio. My Virus is a TI so not with that but I have a Nord and Novation to patch in the same as how you'd do the C.

The way we used to do it was to record, mix down to a separate PC, Cubase only every produced midi for the hardware and prerecorded audio. The timing with audio tracks is flawless this way but no fun. It introduced the inability to add vst effects to your hardware, with out mixing down first.

Testing out the Virus TI on Cubase Ellements 8 64bit. About to make the upgrade from Cubase 5 32bit to Cubase 8 Pro 64bit. Running a fresh install of Windows 8.1. A mistake purchase for another machine so thought I'd give it a go.

In the plug in manager list in Cubase Elements 8 both the vst 2.4 and vst 3.5.0 version of the Virus show up. Originally in Cubase 5 you could load either versions, in Cubase Elements 8 only the 2.4 version is available to load as an actual instrument. To test I created a specific plug in list in the manager, only dragging the Virus TI vst 3.5.0 across to the list. When selecting that list in the VST instruments rack, no TI is visible.

Cubase 8 Elements is detecting the 3.5.0 but not showing it in the drop down menu to load it, even when I've specifically told it to be there. Is this because I'm using Elements and not Pro or do I have another problem?

I'm upgrading as wanting everything to be full 64 bit. I've deliberately not installed the 32 bit versions of the Virus so no conflict there. The 2.4 works. Although Mr Crackles is back! strangely when I adjusted my Ram settings, he seems to be mainly sleeping.

Decided it's time to upgrade and go fully 64 bit. Previously running Cubase 5 32bit on Windows 7 64bit, all good. I'm going to be buying Cubase 8 Pro but I thought I'd test out the Virus first.

Running Cubase 8 Elements demo on Windows 8.1 (initial bought for another machine but wasn't running good due to outdated raid). I need 8.1 to work other wise a wasted purchase.

My question is, Is Cubase ASIO Guard playing havoc with Virus TI?

I'm getting problems and adjusting this seems to trigger some of them. I made a test project with the Virus loaded and this set as high, when reloading the project and accessing the Virus, the Virus says the buffer is too large, larger than 512 when my Presonus Firestudio clearly shows setting of 256, this causes the virus to not load properly.

2nd question, Due to how the ASIO Guard works does the fool the Virus into thinking the buffer is much higher?

I've had a play around maxing out Sylnth, then duplicating tracks and I really like how the ASIO Guard can give me more tracks before I get overload. I also notice that when you select a track, if you then deselect record enable, it made for more ASIO headroom, specifically the Real Time Peak meter. In my original set up, sometimes the realtime export would fail due to spikes even if I wasn't over half way on the performance meter. This lil discovery might be a god send for those projects.

I've made another thread for my other problems.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Cubase 5 (Don't think it's 64 bit set up)
    Virus TI Using VC but not audio outs.
    Firestudio Project...
    Phenom II Black 3.4 x4
    GA-790XTA-UD4

12 USB 2 ports AMD SB750 Southbridge
    2 USB 3/2 ports according to the block diagram these go via the NEC direct to the Northbridge but I'm guessing when USB2 is plugged it detects and sends it to the Southbridge. (edit: I believe now that this still goes through the NEC chip). There isn't 14 USB ports including the headers inside.

Note: the motherboard doesn't pair up the USB2 ports as you'd expect, it was pretty random. Most motherboards are probably the same.

It has 5 open host HCD and 7 root hubs in devices. 1,2,3,4 has 3 ports available each, 5 has 2 ports (USB3?) and 6,7 has 6 each. I drew a lil map showing me which port, with which USB type plugged in went through what open host and root hub... It really was all way over my head. I did this by plugging in only 1 device and seeing where it showed up! Making lots of notes!!! I was lucky to discover 1 rear port was paired with the headers inside, so that is marked as my VIRUS TI only port!!!

I rarely get problems. Although I've broke my middle C and I've had to disconnect the pitch wheel. When I get problems it seems to be because of loading order between my interface and TI, or changing latency. Once I've reset there's no problems and I get a full day/night with out issues. I'm not really going to town on automation these days to push this beast to be 100% sure!

If any one wants to send me a Cubase file with all the patches etc. I'd be happy to see if I can do a mix down via my set up with out any clicks or sync issues. I have FL but it's not me who uses it and we never really tried to get the Virus to work.

Edit: I tell a lie, if I load a project up and press play before the virus has loaded and not from the beginning I usually have to stop and start the project a few times before it's in sync. All good for the session once in sync.

I spent some time setting up this motherboard before setting up the audio on it. On the forum I was recommended (from one of the main boys) against doing RAID as it would be unstable and would keep dropping a drive. Needles to say the RAID has never let me down. Another note about Phenom II if you get super fast ram you can't clock the ram to that speed, well you can but you risk damaging the memory controller? in the CPU. Best to clock it down and tighten the timings. I have 12800 but at 10666.

I must be a genius because my TI works!!!. As long as I don't swap audio drivers, if I do a reboot is needed. Although I only get 3 voices max, normally only 2. My middle c key is a bit warn out and my pitch bend wheel is unplugged, needs replacing. it is very old bought it not long after release.

I've had all the same issues as everyone over the years but Mr Crackles no longer resides in my system. Because of VC it's the only hardware synth in my set up I still use.

Edit: i'm not on a mac though!!!

Anyone want to send me a project and i'll do a mix down see if it's crackle free.

My TI 1 KB works quite well now so i'd say don't give up! I just wish i could get more of it from the 1 synth. 2 patches and it's maxed out.

My friends like Ableton so we tried getting it to work on that but gave up. I use Cubase. I've seen a few youtube videos on Ableton and the TI and they seem to have it running good.

Probably because it's 1 higher than 2...

On a serious note it's the host. The way the daw handles in 3 is better than 2. Not sure there'd be any audio quality differences.

What's your email. I wouldn't make any kicks on the virus but i have a lil sample pack here i could send you...

That Note Frequency Chart is also an essential tip in that video.