Virus Ti2 KB - It freezes with Volume out of Gain

• HI,

I don't know if it's due to loading incompatible sounds, but my ti2 KB virus often crashes with annoying sounds. The DAW's Gain goes out of range and I have to quickly turn the Virus off and on again to avoid damaging the Audio card's converters ('Apollo'). A little while ago it happened again and I noticed that when it was off the LFO LED was on and flashing abnormally. I turned the power off and back on and it started fine. I've read that there are several users who complain about this problem on Virus C and indigo, and it seems to be a voltage problem but it's happening to me with a brand new Ti2 with integrated power supply and still under warranty. The keyboard is not even 6 months old. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks for your help

• The scenario you describe seems like one (or both) DSPs of your TI2 is crashing. This can happen for various reasons. It may be due to a hardware problem but it’s probably related to the complexity of the sounds you are using in your track.

Do you remember what the exact steps and events were before it crashed, or can you induce the crash on purpose?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, the sound that generated the crash yesterday is complex but is part of bank D (ROM D-98) which is the factory one. I honestly don't remember when it started having these problems because I've only recently started using it more frequently. A couple of months ago I downloaded some new banks from the Access site, even those for Virus C because there were interesting sounds and of these I made a customization of two banks that I loaded into Access in banks V and W which were initially empty. I add that I don't use the Access VST because I'm better off via MIDI. Furthermore, I thought it was some CC command given automatically either by the Master or by the DAW (I should also understand who sends these commands because they could be the cause of the problem? I use Cubase with the NI Komplete 61 Master) since sometimes the preset of the Virus is completely distorted during playback (I render the track to avoid this). On Komplete 61 I made a map for editing various CC commands for the Virus, references taken from a PDF present in the forum here. Honestly, the problem of unwanted Preset modification via CC also happens with other VSTs so there is definitely something wrong with CCs... that's another problem. I gave the virus a dedicated MIDI channel different from the rest of the configuration thinking that it could solve the problem but unfortunately it didn't help.

Other than the firmware update that was required by the software the first time, the two banks, and the CC map, I didn't do anything else.

(and you say nothing.. :) )

• > it's happening to me with a brand new Ti2 with integrated power supply and still under warranty

I'd have it replaced/repaired under warranty then. What you're experiencing is not normal operation and hints at something being broken on the hardware level. Even *if* it were a purely software problem internal to the Virus, I would rather confirm this with a second unit rather than let this unit fall out of warranty.

• > it's happening to me with a brand new Ti2 with integrated power supply and still under warranty

I'd have it replaced/repaired under warranty then. What you're experiencing is not normal operation and hints at something being broken on the hardware level. Even *if* it were a purely software problem internal to the Virus, I would rather confirm this with a second unit rather than let this unit fall out of warranty.

I really think I will do this because I would say by heart that there is a problem with the electronics

• Zitat

Honestly, the problem of unwanted Preset modification via CC also happens with other VSTs so there is definitely something wrong with CCs

This sounds like the NI Komplete keyboard’s endless controllers fire events even if not touched - which is a well known and documented problem of NI Maschine controllers. I would first try to completely disconnect the keyboard.

Regarding your Virus: I’m with abraxa that you should try to get your TI2 serviced while under warranty.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The support response:

<< At the moment, despite various tests carried out on different days, the problem has never appeared.

The only condition in which we know that historically a problem of this type appears in Virus TI is if you play and scroll through the presets too quickly at the same time. This happens not due to a product defect, but due to a DSP issue which finds itself having to load/download the preset settings too quickly. In this regard, the Virus has a specific Panic function which is carried out by pressing the MONO+SYNC buttons >>

?(

• The panic function only helps with hanging notes (which can happen when switching presets while playing) but not when a DSP crashed. It seems that support hasn’t fully understood the problem.

Did you point them to this thread?

• The panic function only helps with hanging notes (which can happen when switching presets while playing) but not when a DSP crashed. It seems that support hasn’t fully understood the problem.

Did you point them to this thread?

Unfortunately I didn't think about it. I'm taking it back now. A month without this tool is felt, but if the problem were to repeat I bring again it together with this link.

Have you tried to re-install the OS, starting with version 3.03 then 5.16 and ending with 5.17?
    This sometimes helps with certain problems…

TI OS 3.03 here:

https://www.virus.info/downloa…taller-Developer-Versions

We see, thank you for your suggestion.

however, I can add that I have had other viruses in the past, Virus C KB, Virus Ti KB, Virus Ti2 Desktop, all used tools but none of these have ever presented similar problems.

I don't know how they do the tests, they probably play something for 30 minutes, turn it off and try again the next day with the average test same for something to happen. I would have expected a different test, a little more technical let's say, perhaps connected to some diagnostic tool to test the correct functioning of the circuits. Let's say that since more than a month has passed it is correct to think that we have done simple tests and not real tests.

• Hi, I wanted to update you since some time has passed since the day I withdrew the Virus from support.

The good news is that with the virus I no longer received the type of problem that I had reported to support and this is already a lot for me. I think there was nothing wrong with the Virus because I encountered the same problem while using the VST Spire. At this point I think it could be the CPU of my PC that goes out of control every now and then or some bug in Cubase, I don't know. In any case in this period it has only happened once with SPIRE so I don't worry too much.

Hello and thanks.