Backup and selectively restore sound banks ?

• Hi all,

I have recently purchased my second virus - a Darkstar.

It has some lovely sound banks in there so I've backed it up up using VCC.

However - I'd now like to be able to restore it to factory and then selectively add those banks to where I want them as many of the originals have been overwritten. It would also be cool to write them to my other TI2 61.

Restoring to factory shouldn't be an issue but I don't see a way to be able to efficiently browse what's in the backup and then restore to where I want.

I've searched the forum and people are saying do it through your DAW.

My DAW is an MPC live - not gonna happen as it doesn't run any kind of plug in.

I've also heard people mentioning AURA and doing SYSDUMPS.

Please forgive me - I'm not familiar with either.

I don't mind buying software if required but I could do with somebody telling me how I can achieve this without needing to fire up Cubase 8 (which I have) as I'm not really familiar with this either - unless somebody can walk me through it.

I appreciate it's a big ask but I'd have thought this would be a simple GUI driven affair from within VCC. I just want to seem my patches in the backup and be able to drop then onto the virus where I want them.

All help appreciated.

Cheers.

Rob.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• Thank you for you prompt assistance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "only for you the AU" - I know AU is Audio unit which I understood to be a bit like a VST file ?

Is Aura a stand alone program that I can use on my MAC to be able to control these things ?

Obviously I don't want to throw money at something and then find it won't do the job !

Thanks again.

Rob.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• Yes it has this standalone option. I use it on Mac M1, it is perfect: imports my 128 patches in one go... I sort them... reorganize them (one by one) and reimport them into the TI (in RAM (not in ROMs) it For this you need the access editor (on Captain, therefore with another Mac). Its AURA demo to test, but immediately you have to take it (it serves me every day and allows infinite exported lists of our sounds (in .mid ).After a month, we rremember his philosophy and move forward very, very quickly.

Don't hesitate if you want help with AURA, I will try to explain well... :)

• OK - I have AURA.

I believe I have it connecting but I am still in Demo mode.

Do I need to purchase the full version before I can backup the sounds from my virus ?

I could use some help here - not sure whether we can Private Message somehow to prevent making this all public ?

Thanks for your help so far.

Rob.

• Hi Rob

You can only save sounds with the full version of the AURA Editor/Librarian.

If you just want to move whole sound banks from one virus to the other, sysex might be the most effective way. If you want to backup whole banks, the free SysEx Librarian is great.

What version of macOS are you on? Since you can use VCC you should also be able to use the VC plugin within a plugin host. Apple Mainstage or a demo of any DAW should be sufficient.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hi again - I guess it's Oli with a new username ?

How are you ?

OK - What I'm after here is the EASIEST long term solution to the problem.

Money isn't the issue - I'll pay for an easy life !!!

My Mac is running Mojave (10.14.6) - unlikely to ever be updated again as its a 5.1 "Cheese grater".

The task is quite simple...or so I thought!

1) Backup existing patches which I've inherited with my newly acquired darkstar.

2) Restore to factory defaults (can be done easily with VCC) - in fact I already did it then reverted so I'm back to how I got it now.

3) Copy backed up patches to where I want them as previous owner has overwritten the originals (I'd like to set it up how I want it - not how they wanted it).

Really appreciate it if you could just tell me the easiest way.

If that's Aura then I'm happy with that. When I tried to "Sync data from HW" it seemed to populate the 16 parts in the software down the left hand side with a load of patches that I don't even appear to have in the virus so I'm confused from the off really.

I've had a look at the manual but it's not clear. There are even 2 x "Sync data from HW" buttons on there, one of which appears to do nothing very quickly.

Quite a trauma for something that I'd have thought would be simple drag & drop !

**OK - I've figured that I can get the banks from my DarkStar into Aura but can't save (demo limitation). It seems that this may be the way forward. With this software would I be able to (once I've backed up all the wanted banks) reload the individual patches to where I want them and then write back to the DS ?**

Thanks in anticipation.

Rob.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• Hi Rob, yes it’s me, how are you.

In my experience, the Aura software is cumbersome to set up and very buggy especially when it comes to writing banks to files.

If still on macOS 10.14.6, I’d always prefer the original VC plugin within a VST/AU host to the Aura software. It’s way simpler to set up and more stable.

Are you sure MPC Live cannot load VST plugins? I thought it was able to do that.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Well Oli, you've got me there - not something I've done...and have to admit I'm confused (it's easily done) which is exactly why I've shyed away from Cubase and using VSTs. I just want to record my virus - why is this so difficult ????

You've totally lost me now.

If it's so simple please explain...

What is "the original VC plugin within a VST/AU host to the Aura software" - what does that even mean ?

VST = as far as I'm aware an instrument plugin - A "virtual instrument"

The way that I'm using my MPC is simply MULTI mode on the virus with different midi channels triggering the different parts.

Are you suggesting using the Virus as a VST within MPC live to do this ?

No idea how you set that up.

Please help - stressed with all this technology and terminology - you're way ahead of me buddy.

• Oh well, that’s a hell of a lot to explain then.

VST = Virtual Studio Technology by Steinberg. A virtual instrument or effect plugin industry standard first made available in Cubase then adopted by many other companies and plugin providers. VST is independent of the computer operating system.

AU = Audio Units by Apple. A virtual instrument or effect plugin platform first made available in Logic then adopted by all companies offering music software for macOS. AU depends on the macOS operating system.

VST/AU host = any DAW or other software (Apple Main Stage, NI Maschine, Akai MPC 2) in which you can load and use VST or AU plugins.

Next part later. Have to work now…

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Thanks Oli.

As I've said before - I'm a very creative guy and a grade 8 Keyboard player but the technology really p1$$es me off.

Give me an Atari ST with good old fashioned Cubase and I'm away.

Things have got so difficult and I'm really struggling to adjust to how all this stuff works.

Appreciate your help. Sorry I'm a pain but once I get it, I'll have it for life.

• Ok, then I have to first ask a couple of things:

• How is your Virus currently connected to your computer?
    • Did you install all of the Virus software and which version?
    • What OS version is on your Viruses?

• Hey Oli,

Virus is currently connected to computer over USB.

I installed all the virus software that I believe was available from the main website - as I understand it VCC also includes the VST plugin?

The virus is at 5.1.17.0 as is the version of VCC.

• HI Oli - appreciate you're busy but any further guidance on this ?

Happy to fire up Cubase if it's going to make life easier - I have it running now.

I have also fixed the issue that my TI2 couldn't connect to my mac !

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• Hey Oli,

Virus is currently connected to computer over USB.

I installed all the virus software that I believe was available from the main website - as I understand it VCC also includes the VST plugin?

The virus is at 5.1.17.0 as is the version of VCC.

Ok, that all sounds good and up to date so far.

• HI Oli - appreciate you're busy but any further guidance on this ?

Happy to fire up Cubase if it's going to make life easier - I have it running now.

I have also fixed the issue that my TI2 couldn't connect to my mac !

Great you sorted it out, and good to know it was „just“ the USB port problem.

• Cheers Oli - going back to the original problem at hand...

Now that I have Cubase and can finally connect my Virus' - How do I use the plugin to manage the sound banks ?

Incidentally - do you get paid for the support that you give as you're always the guy and I appreciate I'm leaning on you a LOT.

How does one learn these things.

I know what I want to do but how to do it seems to be a major challenge.

So frustrating as a grade 8 musician to not be able to spend any time recording ideas just because the tech is so hard to understand.

Hope you understand my frustration!

Cheers.

Rob.

• Hi Rob,

I learned all this by reading all the provided manuals, online resources and watching YT videos. And a lot of trial & error. I guess that's just me being stubborn on getting technology to do what I want :D

Anyway, I'd appreciate if we could stick to just one thread. And no, I'm not the official support guy, just some dude who loves his Virus to bits.

• Rob,

Be sure to join the Discord channel for Aura support if you decide to purchase. I just bought it myself and the posts in the channel were a great help. I posted my experience with Logic Pro and how I got it to work.