Acces Virus (TI/TI2) keyboard/deskop version still worth to buy in 2023?

• I just tried the Virus Control and it was pretty straight forward.
    You can administer your patches there after making them in the Synth or the VST :)
    Are you running Windows, if you are then I would say that the Control does not seem that important since you can do alot with the presets in the VST, but if you want to burn your patches to the ROMs then you would need some way to transfer them from the .mid bank to the ROM, and thats where I think the Virus Control comes to play :)

That is good to know. I don't even run a VST yet, in fact I don't have a DAW yet either. I've been running a pure analog set up only using a computer to record tracks for the last 6 years. I'm probably going to try out Ableton Live since some of my friends use it and can provide local assistance.

I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. I'd heard somewhere that Virus Control did not run under Windows 11 but did run under Windows 10. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks, :)

• That is good to know. I don't even run a VST yet, in fact I don't have a DAW yet either. I've been running a pure analog set up only using a computer to record tracks for the last 6 years. I'm probably going to try out Ableton Live since some of my friends use it and can provide local assistance.

I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. I'd heard somewhere that Virus Control did not run under Windows 11 but did run under Windows 10. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks, :)

Sorry, Im running Wn10 so cant say anything about compability with 11.
    I do use Ableton though, and think the VST works pretty good there :)

• Hi,

Yes, the TI is still relavant in 2023 even though I bought my desktop in 2010!

This year I decided to take mine apart to inspect the insides and changed the internal battery as part of the maintenance.

Glad to report no there where no problems with the main board even after 13 years due to its very good build quality.

I also put a little dessicant bag in the unit which stops things from potentially rusting (I do that with all my synths).

The only things I worry about are when the 56000 series DSP chips run out (they have been discontinued) and no more Virus units can be purchased (apart from used). Hopefully, NXP (DSP manufacturer) can produce an equivalent or hopefully a much better solution that Access could use for a new TI3 (hopefully with a slightly bigger display panel).

I use an M1 Max (Sonoma) and a Win10 laptop and have no problems with TI really on the PC. I may purchase Aura in the near future.

There are some great soundbanks (both free and commercial) out there which will keep things relevent from this machine for a long time yet. Couple this with the great support and expertise from some learned members of this forum and its a done-decision to get a Ti in 2023!

• once you have a thousand patches loaded to the virus, you really only need a good sequencer and nothing else. I can play drums, bass, and melodic on one box and the effects and filters are superb with many types of synthesis like wavetable, granular, FM and so forth possible and many filter types and combos and great effects too. I do like the user interface better on my Elektron gear but the Virus multi timbral feature and sound is tops. Even Waldorf not there yet otherwise I would have bought a Quantum!

• Is a 'Access Virus (TI/TI2) keyboard/desktop version still worth to buy in 2023?' you asked.

I did on August 4, 2023. I'm very happy I did. When I compose arrangements I often use non-organic sounds along with realistic-instruments to provide more flavor. So I'll use the Access Virus TI2 Polar all the time. It sparks creativity in me. I hope that's not blunted by the learning curve. I don't have many synths that actually send the arpeggiation notes out as MIDI. Love that! I can edit and grow these streams in staff where I live much of the time. I'm using Cakewalk and have 32 MIDI Ports with 20 assigned to external components.

This synth cost as much as my computer and it's just about as smart! I'll never sell it.

DJRobertV That's a good question and I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. /;-)

• And there is still verry little that can compare to the Virus, if anything even if it is a digital synth.
    I would say that I rely mostly on software synths, but the creativity it sparks tweaking knobs that you wouldnt problably do in a software is amazing and then (at least for me) the synth becomes a "real" instrument,not just a sound engine.
    Im still in my learning period, getting to know this little bad boy, but man I enjoy it! :)