Access Virus is Officially Discontinued

• Just got word from a reseller that the Access Virus TI has been officially discontinued. It looks like we won't be getting the update we've been waiting for, which is a real disappointment. I'm not quite sure why Access is being less than transparent about this—maybe they're trying to move the remaining stock sell. I think it's important for users to know, so I'm posting here.

• That just makes it more desirable in my eyes...it's a classic era defining synth.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• I am about to publish this Friday, the following article on http://www.technoscene.eu, if anyone from Access would like me to omit or add to the article in any way my email is [email protected]

In a recent announcement by Amazona.de, the music world received the bittersweet news of the discontinuation of the Access Virus TI2, marking the end of an era for this iconic synthesizer. Developer Christoph Kemper has confirmed that production ceased several months ago as the company shifts its focus towards the popular Profiler amps under the sister brand Kemper.

The Access Virus TI2, part of the esteemed Virus series, debuted in 2009 and enjoyed an unusually long and successful production run for a synthesizer. Born out of the first wave of virtual-analogue synths in 1997, the Virus series became a cornerstone in synthesizers, with the TI2 as its pinnacle.

One of the defining features of the Virus TI2 was its "Total Integration," a groundbreaking concept at its release. This feature allowed for seamless remote control and automation of all parameters within a DAW, coupled with direct audio signal transmission to the computer over USB. This level of integration was unprecedented, making the Virus TI2 a studio staple heard on countless hits and a favourite among live performers.

For over a decade, the Virus TI2 has been integral to countless music productions, including those by renowned artists who have relied on its distinctive sound and versatile capabilities.

Techno Titans Embraced the Virus TI:

However, the impact of the Virus TI extends far beyond the realms of trance and progressive house. The instrument found fervent adoption within the pulsating world of techno, shaping the sonic palette of influential artists:

Adam Beyer: The Swedish techno producer and Drumcode label head is recognized for his powerful and driving techno sets. With its diverse sonic capabilities, the Virus TI series likely found a place in Adam's versatile studio setup.

BT (Brian Transeau): A pioneer in electronic music, BT explored the sonic possibilities of the Virus TI, contributing to the rich textures of his compositions.

Charlie May: From the band Spooky is known to have created a sound bank for the Virus TI, adding his sound design skills, with a library of unique textures/creations.

Charlotte de Witte: The Belgian techno DJ and producer has become prominent with her dynamic and energetic techno sets. The Virus TI's integration capabilities might have been valuable for blending hardware and software in her productions.

Chris Liebing: The German techno DJ and producer, known for his dark and atmospheric techno style, could undoubtedly have found the Virus TI series appealing due to its wide range of sound options.

Deadmau5: The Canadian electronic music producer and performer incorporated the Virus TI series into his setup, contributing to the signature sound of his productions.

Sasha: The progressive house and trance legend Sasha is known to have integrated the Virus TI into his studio setup, adding its unique textures to his musical creations.

Amelie Lens: The Belgian techno DJ and producer, renowned for her driving and intense techno sound, could have utilized the Virus TI's synthesis capabilities to craft unique sonic textures within her tracks.

The discontinuation of the Access Virus TI2 undoubtedly marks the end of an era, leaving an indelible mark on the history of synthesizers. As we bid farewell to this iconic instrument, we celebrate the countless moments of sonic innovation it facilitated in studios and on stages worldwide. While the Virus TI2 may no longer be in production, its legacy lives on in the music it helped create and the global memories it holds for artists and producers of diverse genres, including the driving force of techno music.

• GESchwalm I located 3 of the DSP chips for my TI2, just in case. As I understand it, the rest of the parts are much more easily sourced, but the DSP chips could be a problem.

I suggested this in a forum, and was vilified for selfishly hoarding these parts. I see it as safeguarding my investment in my precious Virus.

• I’m glad to see that. When I researched parts suppliers, a quick 5 minutes of searching led me to believe that most of the ones who had stock required a large purchase.

I got my three from Amazon, which made it easy. The price was right as well.

• That would be something after all these years. But the future looks quite sobering.

The interesting part is: There seems to be one single source of these news, and that is an Amazona.de article. There seem to be no official public statements from Access Music or Christoph Kemper and the Virus website is unchanged.

I wonder whether Amazona.de released that article seemingly not backed by facts just to provoke a reaction by Access Music.

Looking at the alleged availability of DSP chips above, they could go on producing Virus TI2 synths for ages. If Access indeed stopped production, it’s probably rather because of the problems with updating the software to work with current computer operating systems.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I purchased a TI2 Polar in October 2023. It started working funky late 2023. I returned it to Kemper in January 2024 and they have repaired it by replacing the mother board and MIDI components. I have not received it yet (mid February). So far I am relieved to have it repaired. This synth is a masterpiece.

• The interesting part is: There seems to be one single source of these news, and that is an Amazona.de article. There seem to be no official public statements from Access Music or Christoph Kemper and the Virus website is unchanged.

I wonder whether Amazona.de released that article seemingly not backed by facts just to provoke a reaction by Access Music.

Looking at the alleged availability of DSP chips above, they could go on producing Virus TI2 synths for ages. If Access indeed stopped production, it’s probably rather because of the problems with updating the software to work with current computer operating systems.

I have watched some video from NAMM from couple of years ago, where Christoph himself said it when asked about future of the Virus line. And he was there under Kemper banner promoting Kemper products.

• I have watched some video from NAMM from couple of years ago, where Christoph himself said it when asked about future of the Virus line. And he was there under Kemper banner promoting Kemper products.

Yes, I know that video, and that’s exactly my point: The article is not based on current official communication.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+