"OsTIrus" VST Plugin released (public) - Emulator for Virus TI/2

• Now that the Access Virus TI series has been formally discontinued, a group of software developers/music enthousiasts have created an open source emulator of the Virus TI/TI2 “OsTIRus” which they claim sounds the same as the hardware version. They haved Reverse Engineered and Emulated the Motorola DSP563xx chip. This DSP has been used in plenty of virtual analogue synthesizers and other musical gear that was released after around the mid 90s, such as Access Virus A, B, C, TI / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Waldorf Q, Microwave II / Novation Supernova, Nova and many others.

I thought I can post this now here because it is a public release formally announced on their website.

Apparently it is not illegal to build and share an emulator as long as you don't share the corresponding ROM files of the hardware (which would be illegal).

The emulator is available in a Au/clap/VST2-3 version both for Mac and Windows, and has been released on 22th April 2024 to the public.

It was been developed and tested last year in a small online community with donations, and now is public released. I tried it and it works flawlessly, you can load/tweak any existing virus ti/2 soundbank and you can create your own sounds, just like the hardware version. Either fully in VST mode and/or use your virus TI to control the VST, even in Mac (M1). I can't hear any differences to be honest, but this could be personal taste/opinion. I do own an Access Virus TI2.

It also works with the virus software or Aura plugin to manage your patches.

The latest version of the VST also has a sophisticated patch manager built in, including selections of categories, tags and favourites.

The only requirement is that you have the original ROM file that comes with your Virus hardware synth, together with the VS file.

Please note that the ROM file is copyrighted, so only for rightfully Access Virus owners to use this and should not be obtained in any other way, because that could be considered illegal.

You can read about that here as well in th FAQ: https://dsp56300.wordpress.com…-faq-access-virus-ti-snow

There was already a version of the Virus A/B/C called “Osirus” which needs the rom file of these virus synths A/B/C.

If you want, give it a try, I think it is a tribute to all Access Music and all Access Virus owners to make sure the legend continues.

You can continue to use your Virus TI/2 together with this emulator on a recent Mac (M1), which is a big plus.

Website developers:

DSP56300 Emulation Blog
    Emulating the Access Virus C & other virtual analogue synthesizers
    dsp56300.wordpress.com

• AFAIK, the difficult part is still to obtain the ROM file. Even if you own the hardware, you need a way to create dump of the ROM, right?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• aaa.jpgHi robert,

HI

I am the owner of an Access Virus Ti2 desktop, I looked everywhere but I can't find "the original ROM file and the VS file". I only have the sound banks Virus TI Rom A,B,C,D etc.

since I own the hardware where can I find the 2 files to run the OsTIrus? "original ROM file and the VS file"

because when I start it it always asks me " A firma ROM file ( firmware.bin ) is require, but was not found

the firmware file needs to be located next to the plugin...

Could you help me where I can find these files to start OsTIrus? given that I am registered on the access virus site and have also registered my ti2 virus?

let me know as soon as possible thanks

The only requirement is that you have the original ROM file that comes with your Virus hardware synth, together with the VS file.

• blinde_Q Phantatic! Thank you very much!

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• AFAIK, the difficult part is still to obtain the ROM file. Even if you own the hardware, you need a way to create dump of the ROM, right?

no, it’s just a file on your computer that you need to locate (if you have a virus ti installed) and copy in your vast folder where the plugin also resides.

• Sorry, I can not help you with that. You can only use the rom (.bin) file that you have installed with your virus hardware synth.

• no problem, you can add a folder within your banks or a singe bank.

in the browser under: Data Sources - right mouse click add folders or files.

Ok well seen! THANKS.
    For my part, it doesn't reproduce my good, very fine patches as well... no big deal.

• Ok well seen! THANKS.
    For my part, it doesn't reproduce my good, very fine patches as well... no big deal.

Same issue for me. Maybe the VST doesn't read the .mid files properly?

• Hi! Please tell me how this is possible? How to connect Ostirus to Access Virus Control VSTi?

Go back to this page.NOTA: It is for personal use, provided that you own the hardware: it is a mixture of 2 files (that of Ostirus + the Harware driver), to be placed side by side in a folder on your computer. This "driver" does not belong to us, we cannot share it, you have it with your Hardware (when you install it the first time) which allows you to use and operate the VST.

• Ok well seen! THANKS.

When I compare it sounds exactly the same for all patches, Ostirus and TI2 hardware, no difference to me, it might be subjective. Which makes sense because they did a exact 1:1 emulation of the Motorola DSP56xxx chip of the Virus TI/2, and you use the same ROM file of your TI/2 hardware synth.

• Hi All!

Being 2 x Hardware Virus owner (Desktop + Darkstar) I am so glad this plugin came available.

With my Intel Mac OS 11.7.10 (Big Sur) I could make it work both in Logic and Numerology hosts.

But with my M1 running 14.4.1. (Sonoma) there's problem: Logic does not even recognize it and Numerology sees it but freezes when I try to open this plugin (this colorful wheel spinns endlessly and app stops responding and you need to force quit it).

Installing procedure was same: putting AU component to its folder and also firmware.bin there. And I needed also run this command line in Terminal to Mac OS to accept this plugin.

Has anybody have same problem with newer Mac OSs and perhaps is there any fix or something to try?