Acces Virus (TI/TI2) keyboard/deskop version still worth to buy in 2023?

• Good day,

I have been looking already for a long time to add an Access Virus TI/TI2 to my music setup.

Love the trancy sounds it produces and my feeling is it just has to be part of my setup for EDM/Trance.

I use Ableton Live 11.3 suite, running on Macbook Pro M1 (Os Ventura), and a midi controller keyboard MIDI USB a Yamaha MX49 Mk2.

Also I have a Yamaha CS2X but that is more sentiments from my youth :)

Although I can still use the CS2X with my M-audio USB interface to my macbook pro and midi in/out cables.

Would you still recommend buying a Access Virus at the moment, with the ceased support/integration for Apple M1 computers?

Either the keyboard version, or desktop, and control the desktop with my midi keyboard.

I know that probably I shouldnt mention it here, but I would consider Novation Peak desktop as alternative, in combination with a nice ableton midi controller novation 61SL ML3.

Just because that unit has no integration issues, is still supported, and doesnt sound bad at all. Its not a virus though ......

Just a bit concerned about lack of support for Virus studio integration at the moment....

I know there are 3rd party solutions like Aura, but how does it actually work ?

Thanks for your experience,

DJ Robert V

• Without hesitation, the TI2. It is super powerful in terms of sound quality, enormous emulation possibilities, thousands of sound banks available :)
    I use it every day, on M1 + Aura. On this forum we can help you, it remains active by its members :)
    IT takes 3 months to understand and 10 months more to know what to use as parameters to achieve the sound you are looking for. So the first few months, don't regret your acquisition, you have to get on with it lol
    With Aura, you empty your Banks as soon as they are full (RAM A B C D) or you recall them in the plug-in to send them to the Virus in TEMP to listen, or by entire block which will remain. Truly perfect so far.

• I recommend to buy used. In some areas, they are available at great prices and if you find a more recent unit, there's little chance of hardware failures.

However, it is a professional instrument, and as Lioio suggested, you have to spend a considerable amount of time to read the manuals, work through tutorials, and fight through the myriads of problems with the computer integration setup, before you will enjoy it. But if you managed to pass all the obstacles, it is a truly amazing synth. And "trancy" is just a tiny fraction of what it is capable of. It can't do everything, but the possibilities are pretty mind bending.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• DJRobertV the Aura Plug-ins Hardware Editor for Virus does work, but there are two things it won’t do:

1. Edit Virus “remote templates” so your Virus TI/TI2 desktop can control other plug-ins
    2. Manage the firmware version of the Virus synth itself

Many of us maintain an older Mac (I have a 2010 MacBook Pro) or a Windows PC to load Access’ original Virus Control software for these two tasks.

If the Virus you purchase is on current firmware, and using the synth to control plug-ins isn’t relevant, Aura Virus HC could be your solution.

• Thankyou for your prompt feedback, that provides me comfort :)

I just relember that my wife still has an intel based macbook pro running an earlier version of OSX and I also have a spare lenovo laptop on which I could install windows. Should be OK then to run a FW update when buying a used TI2.

Here in Netherlands I can find used TI2 desktop for about EUR 1000-1200. New 1800.

I am temted to look for the keyboard version as welñ but I dont have a lot of space in the studio room and I would prefer to buy a good midi controller for ableton live, like the novation SL MK3 with 61 keys, which can also be a good standalone solution with the TI2 desktop, having a 8 channel sequencer built in and Virus TI template to control the TI(2).

My thoughts….otherwise I would look to use a TI2 keyboard version as my main keyboard including using it for abletone live sessions. And no dedicated ableton midi control keyboard.

Used TI2 keyboard version about eur 1500.

Cheers

RobertV

• The Virus keyboards are among the best synth keyboards you will find, so if you decide to go the keyboard version route it's unlikely that you'll regret it. The Virus doesn't have a sequencer but it can do keyboard split at least. If size is of paramount concern for you and you don't need immediate access to the Virus front panel then you may prefer to use a master keyboard.

• Thanks for support here, just great!

I would be tempted to go for the ti2 keyboard version and just trash my other midi controller/synth.

I would need to set it up with Ableton live, probably best via midi in/out interface, preferred over usb issues with Mac.

I have read elsewhere that someone made an Ableton mapping template which has been made via access virus website?

• I've just bought a 3rd - do it...

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• Today I bought a used TI2 desktop version from 2020 in immaculate condition, even the plastic foil on the display was still on it.

I also got a load of additional soundbanks with it, dance orientated.

Several options to connect:

- standalone via Midi Out/In from my Novation SL61 MK3 control keyboard, which has a template for Virus TI for mapping of the controls. More for jamming.

- USB to MacbookPro with Aura Virus plugin for USB Midi/Audio, Novation also via USB; I purchased a license for the software.

I use Ableton Live suite 11, Macbook Pro M1 Os 13.7 Ventura

Downloaded all the manuals. reading time ......

I have connected the Novation SL61MK3 with MIDI out/in to the Virus TI, just to check out some patches.

The sound is really amazing, I can certainly hear the difference with my VST audio in Ableton.

Im happy :) :)

At lot to read, try and learn.

Thanks for advise.

Cheers

RobertV

• Congratulations!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Today I bought a used TI2 desktop version from 2020 in immaculate condition

Welcome to the addicts club.

Congratulations.

Don't be hasty to sell that piece of history.

There's a lot to learn, some quirks.

I'm still very much learning !

Rob B...

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• I purchased TI SNOW and TC PowerCore Virus about 11 years ago

but haven't used them in at least 9 years.

In contrast, I regularly use 56300 B~C and VIPER.

The adjustment techniques are quite similar, but in terms of modifications, 56300 and VIPER offer more convenience.

Whether to make a purchase or not depends on the user's level of experience. After all, seeing many users who are not proficient,

I don't highly recommend taking the risk of purchasing without sufficient knowledge.

• If your asking the question, your already there mate :)
    I bought a Polar TI-2 the other day, in great condition, plastic still on the display (but not any longer because im keeping this one) ;)
    Ive just started to learn it, and man it is so much fun.
    Im on Win 10 and Ableton so everything regarding the TI-part is working just fine.
    Dammaged by all the software synths ive used I tend to do the sound sculpting through the VST, but im slowly starting to transition towards using the hardware. Still using the TI-software is great as well, automation in ableton works exactly as it should etc.
    Using 3 parts over USB seems to work great as well, which is a nice touch since 3 major synts goes a long way in my projects :)

• IMHO - give me a hands on synth any day.

I can't bear coming away from my synth to mess around on a computer - it drives me scatty.

Then again - I'm old skool. I was raised in the days of DX7s where there were no computers.

The more I can do on the synth without needing to mess about with a computer, the better.

• My used VI2 Polar just arrived yesterday and I'm blown away by this synth! It still had the plastic protection on the screen and both sets of power cables. I could not find any reference to Virus Control anywhere. Is Virus Control on a CD or DVD? Is it even necessary to load presets, or is there some better software interface?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. 8)

• If you get a discount then yes the Virus is still amazing. I use mine with external mixer recorder and sometimes with Aura plugin and old Mac or Windows PC.

• My used VI2 Polar just arrived yesterday and I'm blown away by this synth! It still had the plastic protection on the screen and both sets of power cables. I could not find any reference to Virus Control anywhere. Is Virus Control on a CD or DVD? Is it even necessary to load presets, or is there some better software interface?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. 8)

I just tried the Virus Control and it was pretty straight forward.
    You can administer your patches there after making them in the Synth or the VST :)
    Are you running Windows, if you are then I would say that the Control does not seem that important since you can do alot with the presets in the VST, but if you want to burn your patches to the ROMs then you would need some way to transfer them from the .mid bank to the ROM, and thats where I think the Virus Control comes to play :)